Colt New Frontier Price Check Help

Lurch37

I have this terrible affliction for anything with a cute little pony stamped in the frame.

On that note I have on hold a Colt New Frontier in .44 Special. I'm not much of a revolver guy, but as stated earlier, I cannot pass up anything with that darn horse on the side. It's in very good condition...I'm going to say +98%...it has the 7.5 inch barrel...it has been fired...there is no box...and the serial number is 099XXNF or 099XXXNF.

According to one book the dealer and I looked at, there were only 225 or 255 of these made in .44 Special. I haven't dated it yet, but I think the dates of manufacture are 1961 thru 1975. It's priced at $1100.

I will be checking gunbroker and auction arms for pricing also...but any thoughts from you guys on ones you've seen recently sell or for sale would be greatly appreciated.

Lurch37

Thanks Wild...I thought maybe with that particular caliber being somewhat rare it might be worth more. Like I said tho, I'm fairly clueless about revolvers. :)

CraigC

It would have to be 99xx which would put it at late 1980 production and well into the 3rd generation. It's a fairly common caliber and configuration so IMHO, it's overpriced. In used condition without a box $800 would be more reasonable but one should not be surprised to find one for less. I watched a NIB example go for less than $900 on Gunbroker recently. The 2nd generation .44Spl's are rare in any condition and are priced accordingly with none made in 4¾" length, 120 5½" guns and 135 7½" guns. For the 3rd generation the 7½" .44Spl's are the second most common at 2,761 to the most common 7½" .45's at 7,407.

I have to disagree about the .44Spl being an undesireable caliber. We sixgun fanciers are snapping up the affordable .44Spl's, especially the rarer short barrelled models.

gordo b.

That gun in Kali would not go for a penny less than $1100 and would not last more than a couple days. The New frontiers are the sleepers of the SAA genre. They are stronger and more useful than the fixed sighted one for anything other than cowboy games. The .44spl version is to me the most desireable in that it can be loaded plenty hot, as Elmer did to his old Flat tops (which is what it basically is) years ago. I would offer $900 in these hard times, and would pay up to $950 if it was very nice. I paid $1100 for my NIB 2nd gen NF .44spl about 7 years back, I think it has gone up $500.:cool:

Lurch37

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

It would have to be 99xx which would put it at late 1980 production and well into the 3rd generation.

I am almost positive it has a serial number starting with an "0" as in 099XXNF. I will look at it tomorrow and write it down, although maybe it doesn't make that much difference.

j-a-r

I picked up the exact same model gun about 8 years ago from the Kittery Trading post in Maine while I was on vacation. .44Spl with the 7 1/2" barrel. It was in about 98% condition without the box. Cost me around $600.00 shipped to my FFL at the time. Nice looking gun. Beautiful case colors on it too. It's one of my keepers.

J-a-r