colt new army/navy diagram

jborushko

does any body have or know where i can find a exploded diagram of a colt new army or new navy?

i received one of these revolvers in a box of pieces and would like to re-assemble it.

according to the serial number (255xxx) it was made in 1906 and was converted from 38 short to 38spl. i was a civilian model.

any help would be great

JT-AR-MG42

You did say ANY help.

www.coltparts.com - I don't know how to link stuff - has a fair to poor exploded view.

I confess to never having even taken the sideplate off my .41 Colt.

Hope it helps.

JT

P.S. Dang, it made a link all by itself!

longranger

If you go to www.coltforum.com and ask your request over there someone will have an uploaded picture from Jerry Kunhausen's "The Colt D/A Revolvers".His books are the only definitive books on the Colt D/A revolvers and are available from www.amazon.com .There are 2 volumes and 3 editions, your revolver is in vol. 1, all editions. Hope this helps.

jborushko

HA HA HA HA
Kuhnhausen doesn't show a Colt New Army & Navy.
right after i buy the book online!!! lol oh well its till has good info on other colts i have, and work on. i also bought the 1911 book and the remington 870 book.

i'll check that link when i get home from work - it doesn't get through the proxy here

i ordered books from Heritage gun books http://www.gunbooks.com/ they are in the mail already ONE day later!

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
The old New Army & Navy (used by the military as the Models 1892-1905) is a very complex gun and the springs are especially fragile. Be careful when re-assembling not to break anything. In fact, check to make sure all the parts are there and the springs are OK. The fact that a gun is apart usually indicates a previous owner broke something, couldn't find the part, and just tossed the remains in a box.

Good luck!

BTW, while never advertised as such, I believe Colt did chamber later guns for .38 Special (they should be strong enough for standard loads). One of my civilian models will take (and would fire) .357 Magnum!

Jim

jborushko

BTW, while never advertised as such, I believe Colt did chamber later guns for .38 Special
this is fact, my box o parts is stamped .38spl on the barrel

i thought the .357mag was to long for the cynder on these! i guess ill have to take a looks see

lol re-chambering for .357 would be sweet! though when all is said and done... think ill just keep it a .38spl.

im planing on making a stuppid huge bull barrle, for it as the lands in this one are so wore out its almost smooth bore

jborushko

also
jt-ar-mg42
your link also worked... i was just able to get it to come up on my computer... a actually just got off the phone with this guy he has a pin that im missing for the revolver! so thank you!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have never seen one of those guns marked ".38 Special" even when the cylinder will accept that cartridge. I think you have a barrel from a later gun that might work (threads the same), but if reassembling the gun involves installing the barrel, that complicates things even more.

And I merely commented that in one of my revolvers, .357 would fit (barely), but I certainly didn't mean to imply that the old gun was strong enough for use with that cartridge! Do NOT fire .357 or any .38 Special over a minimal load in those old guns.

Jim