Colt Mustang problem...

smokehouse4444

I have a mid 90's Colt Mustang Pocketlite. I shot it maybe a month ago with no problems whatsoever. I reloaded it last weekend to carry while doing yard work around the property. it sat in a lower drawer in its holster for the week. I just reached in to stick it in my pocket to do some more outside work, and as always, I pulled the mag and started to check the chamber to insure that it was indeed loaded. The slide would not come back.

I took the safety off and tried to rack the slide and it will only move a couple of millimeters. I carefully let the hammer down and tried the same. No dice. The slide will barely move at all. It will move just enough to confirm that a round is indeed chambered, but otherwise I cannot rack the slide. My wife said to just go shoot it at the range, but I'm afraid if the slide is stuck for some reason that would be a very bad idea.

Anyone have this happen before, and how did you take care of it? Thanks

Koda94

When you shot it last did you clean it, by way of breaking the pistol down by removing the slide?

You need to check the extractor was not pushed too far down when you put the slide back on. When this happens it renders the pistol inoperable and requires more disassembley to correct. I think it can be done at home if you remove one of the grip panels and bring the extractor back up into position.

When you reassemble the slide its important to only push the extractor down far enough to just clear the slide, its a fine line. IIRC the new Sig 238/938 clones have the same design issue.

smokehouse4444

Thanks for the answer. Trying to remember if I cleaned it. I think I did. Usually that extractor thing is when you clean it and push it down. You can't get the slide back on. I do know for sure that even after I may have cleaned it, I got the slide back on and racked it, particularly to put one down the hole. Very strange. I may try to pull off the grip panels a little later to see if I might be able to get the slide back. Very strange.

Koda94

When you reassemble the slide its important to only push the extractor down far enough to just clear the slide, its a fine line.

IIRC... on the mustang that extractor has a sweet spot where it will stay put without falling all the way down. You push it down and it stays put and you get the slide back on just fine.... but the extractor never pop's back up into position. A little bump, and it always falls down not back up. If done correctly it should never be pushed down far enough where it stays put it should always be 'in the way' getting the slide back on.

here is a good you tube instruction on how to correct the problem except the part where she assembles the slide by pushing the (fixed) extractor down so it stays put....... I would always put the slide on then push the extractor down until the slide moves over it the moment it clears....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EypEUlDHiTQ

smokehouse4444

Thanks so much Koda for trying to help. I took the left grip cover off. I've pushed on the sear spring? with a small flathead screwdriver. Eventually, the ejector did fall down into the grip well. Unfortunately, the slide refuses to be brought back to eject the round in the chamber. I have been carefully trying to push the ejector up, then pulling on the slide, but so far no luck.

I've seen plenty of self help vids on resetting the extractor, as I had to do this once a long time ago. I've never had the slide working well enough to load a round, THEN get stuck and be out of sorts. Any other thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Again, the slide will not rack back to eject the round. The grip is off, and the sear/spring has been pushed where the extractor is "loose" inside the grip well.

smokehouse4444

OK, went back outside and continued to push up on the extractor from within the grip with a very small flat head. Tried it with safety on and off. Finally, for whatever reason, or in some way the pushing got it close enough that the slide finally came back and I was able to unload it. Going to clean a little and relook at the video to get it back in the correct position. Thanks KODA for your help.