Colt Mustang Pocketlite Help

bakon

I have just been offered a Colt Mustang Pocketlite which looks new and although she said it was fired years ago, I don't think it really was. I don't know much about this model but was thinking of using it for my offduty or backup at work. I have had a Sig P230 .380 which fires SA or DA but never a SA only pistol. I know what cocked and locked is, but is this the safest?

The Sig had a decocking lever, but the Mustang does not. Also if I lower the hammer to right off the firing pin, there is a catch, not half cocked but off the pin. Problem I found is the hammer will fall to the pin if the trigger is touched, doesn't matter is saftey if on/off. I am afraid this would cause the round in the chamber to go off. Any advise on carry?

Duty gun is a Glock and current home gun also Glock. Being left handed, there are not many options other than adapt to the right handed world.

comn-cents

They are great guns, I carried one for a while and loved it.
I carried mine cocked/locked and I was comfortable with that.
You are right about that 1/2 cock notch, I would never carry it with the hammer there or all the way down. I wouldn't feel safe.
I have a few friends who carry with an empty chamber and they practice, chambering a round as they draw. They are pretty fast with this method.

If I found one I'd carry it again. Good luck

bakon

Did your safety work the same way in that step off the pin position. With the safety on, this one will stop the hammer from going back, stop the slide from being moved, but lets the hammer fall to the pin.

comn-cents

It's been so long.
I remember at 1/2 cock the hammer would drop and I really didn't like that.
Not sure if it would fire from there, I never tried it.

There is a thread going on right know "old gray mare retiring" a member is retiring his Mustang after 20 years..

Microgunner

The Mustangs are quite desirable and pricey but should only be carried in condition 1 or 3. Nothing else. If you want to carry condition 2 look for a Colt Pony instead.

bakon

Not sure what the condition 1 and 3 mean. From what I picked up just reading in here 1 day is conditon 1 "cocked and locked"? Meaning one in the chamber, safety on and hammer back?

michael t

Many owners carry hammer down on a loaded chamber Their a series 80 and firepin is blocked A lot carry Cocked and locked also. its a personal choice I have 2 and have carried hammer down in a good pocket holster . I have never had a problem lowering a hammer of course I am of a generation that did it regular Long before can't lower a hammer safely crowd
I am left handed also

HisSoldier

The safety on the Mustang is based on the Spanish Star design, it's a hammer lift and block type. When you engage the safety it raises the hammer a tiny amount off the sear, and blocks it. The only bad thing is there is no grip safety, but the series 80 Government .380, and the Mustang plus II I have have a firing pin block that is tied to trigger movement, so if you accidentally wipe the safety off while holstering it it still can't fire unless your finger is on the trigger.

bakon

I too, am slightly older generation. Not calling myself old yet, but at work i would be one of the old guys. Started with revolvers. Just been a while since carrying anything without 2 or 3 internal/external safeties. Does your Mustang allow the hammer to fall to the pin from the slightly off position. Dont want to call it half cocked as it is only 1/5th if that.

Also I would like to carry one in the chamber and will rely on the experience here as to how to do it. I know cocked and locked, and from what the last two posts said, hammer down with the safety on could be fine?

OR if the pipe is empty I Would have to rack one in, might as well just leave the safety off all the time?

I found this in the terms
Condition 1: Full magazine, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on
Condition 2: Full magazine, round chambered, hammer down, safety off
Condition 3: Full magazine, chamber empty
Condition 4: Full magazine separate from weapon, chamber empty

This pistol would allow condition 2 with the safety on.

Last edited:

RickB

If you carry a Glock on duty, I would recommend against a cocked 'n' locked BUG. Condition 1 carry requires total subconscious deactivation of the safety, and if you train to point and squirt with your Glock, you will not "remember" to flip the safety off the Colt when SHTF.
I don't think any Colt allows the safety to be applied with the hammer down.
I think Cylinder & Slide still sells an ambidextrous safety for the Mustang.

KyJim

The Colt Owner's Manual DOES NOT recommend carrying with a round chambered and hammer down. It lists three modes of carry:

1. Mag empty, chamber empty (pretty useless)
2. Mag loaded, chamber empty, hammer down (slow if you need it)
3. Mag loaded, chamber loaded, safety on (recommends you be prepared to use it immediately)

There is a long-running debate among 1911 owners about carrying Condition One (#3 above) or with a round chambered, hammer down. The newer, less experienced users get nervous and want to carry in an unapproved and potentially dangerous manner. Thumbing the hammer back under stress is dangerous and slower than Condition One. Experienced, knowledgeable users carry Condition One.

The Mustang is not a 1911 but has a similar safety system as the Series 80 (but no grip safety).

bakon

Found a "in the pants holster", left handed too, with a strap to go over the hammer, or in front of it when cocked. Will try carrying cocked and locked for a few days with the chamber empty to get a feel. Thinking on it I guess it's just as safe as the Glock or Sig, either has just a trigger pull to fire and this one has a safety, so two things to fire. Also got two more clips for it, one SS and the other blue. Now I have to get to the range this week.

bakon

You were right. I liked it.

very accurate. Placed 2 about 1/16 inch apart, dead center, on the first two shots. All in the 10 at 25 yards. Got to look into changing the safety to a left hand one. Can get it off but not back on without fumbling around with one hand. Also moves my sight picture to flick it off when sliding my thumb over past the hammer. Got to practice some shooting without using the sights to fell more comfortable.

RickB

Did Colt say it was dangerous, or that they don't recommend it for some other reason? I'd say it's dangerous because it delays getting the gun into action as you funble around trying to thumb cock it.

DaveTrig

I'd say it's dangerous because it delays getting the gun into action as you fumble around trying to thumb cock it

I'm not sure it takes any more effort or time to thumb cock as is does to thumb the safety off, though. That condition always seemed safest to me, as it would make an accidental discharge almost impossible, and still be much faster to ready than an empty chamber.

I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact, I'm perfectly happy to be corrected. I just want to understand. I've carried in this condition in the past, and if I'm going to change that I would like to know why. :)

bakon

At the range I tried to fire the gun with the hammer only falling from the safety catch. Not pulling it back and letting it slip, but from the lowered slightly off the pin position. Safety on or off it will fall when the trigger is pulled but the pistol would not fire. I tried hitting the hammer foward to fire, again nothing.

THe manual does say to carry cocked and locked or chamber empty.

I have been carrying it cocked and locked with an empty chamber to get a feel for the gun. It seems it would be just as safe with one in the chamber. I have had no problems except trying to get the safety on with one hand. The left handed hold and small gun makes it ackward.

I would like to carry it hammer down, safety on and one in the chamber. I have no problem thuming the hammer and clicking off the safety. Its just that little fal the hammer does which I still dont trust even after range time.