Colt M1991 vs. Colt MK IV

P99AS9

I'm trying to decide between two very similar guns to be my next 1911. The stainless Colt M1991A1 series 80 gov't and the stainless Colt MK IV series 80 gov't. Apart from the dimpled feed ramp on the 1991 and the different grips and sights (which can be changed/replaced), is there any real difference? Which one would you prefer and for what reason?

oldkim

I'm biased... but it's the 1991A1

So for me it's more on the sentimental value - I was in the Gulf War in 1991 so I chose the 1991A1 Officer's Model - had it completely gunsmithed from top to bottom.

It's a sweet shooter and has been my main carry gun for many years.

Auto426

The older early stainless MKIV Series 80 pistols have better quality forged internals, since the new 1991's use an MIM sear and disconnector and some cast parts as well. The 1991's also use molded nylon mainspring housing where the MKIV will use an arched steel mainspring housing.

Other than that if you buy a new 1991 you will get a lifetime warranty from Colt, where the used gun will not have a warranty. The 1991 will also have the long trigger, flat mainspring housing setup up that most people prefer, which means you won't have to spend anything to change over to this style if you prefer it.

Slopemeno

1991's

The shop I worked for built a ton of 1991 Govt based comp guns, as well as the full range of mild-to-wild 5" guns. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for defensive use, or just a range toy.

Yep, the nylon mainspring housings raised a few eyebrows around the shop. Then I checkered one and hey, not ony did it work, it held up too. I even put one on my own lightweight 5" to drop some weight.

BlueTrain

I've had several different Colt automatics and I'd pick the 1991A1 stainless because it seems to be the most practical of all of them. It had a flat finish that won't rust and it didn't have any extra things that I don't care for. It is a little harder to disassemble, what with the firing pin block, but the block is a good thing, if you ask me. It isn't as pretty as other models, however, if that's what you're looking for, but it's probably going to be the one you take if you don't want to worry about what might happen to the gun, like if you were going to spend the night in the woods.

Was there a model 1991?