colt Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

publius

Buddy of mine brought over a ziplock bag of parts that he wanted me to put back together. Turned out to be a rusty Colt Jr. I asked him what he planned on doing with it. He said I'm just goung to play with it. I said good, If you said you were going to use it for defense I wouldn't fix it. He doesn't have the sense to leave detailed disassembly to someone knowledgable, but at least he does know not to depend on his life with a .22 short. Really a cool little pistol that cleaned up well and It's almost back together.

dannyb

Love Colt Jrs.

So your friend had the .22 short version. I have something of a collection of Colt Jr and relatives. The most common of these is the .25 caliber version. They were made by the Spanish company Astra for Colt. They also made an almost identical version under their own name as the Astra Cub 2000. Both of these came in .25 and in .22 short. FIE also had some that they made under the model name FIE "The Best" but I've only seen (and have one) these in .25 and not .22 short.

Literary reference: Sean Dillon, the character in many of the Jack Higgins novels, likes to keep a .25 Colt in an ankle holster or in his pocket. Higgins seems to populate his novels with other characters who also tote .25 Colts. I guess Higgins is trying to start the Mickey Mouse Gun club. I presume that these are Colt Jrs. rather than 1908 vest pocket .25s because of age, reliability, and spring issues.

Bill DeShivs

Don't sell the .22 short, short! It penetrates all out of proportion to it's size, and it does exceptionally well in short barrelled guns.
The Colt Jr. and Astra guns were very well made. The later USA made Colt .25 was not nearly as nice. The even later FIE version, strangely named "The Best" was the worst of the lot- thougn still good guns. I don't believe the FIE version was ever offered in .22 short.

AStra silver plate factory etched.

astracub1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.