Colt I.D. Help

shortwave

Acquired a blued Colt 357, 6 shot, 5 inch barrel with serial #170xx . Can someone tell me model/year/value of this revolver? Action is very tight with very little cosmetic wear. Doesn`t appear to have been fired much. Thanks so much.

Jim Watson

Is it double action or single action?
Is the barrel really truly five inches long, measured from the muzzle to the front face of the cylinder?
Is it actually marked "Colt .357" big and bold on the left side of the barrel?

shortwave

Jim, revolver is D/A. Barrel measure`s 4 7/8" from muzzle to front face of cyl. and yes Colt .357 is in big and bold letters on left side of barrel.

Dfariswheel

You apparently have a Colt 357. That was both the model name and the caliber.
The 357 was made from 1954 to 1961, with about 15,000 produced.
The 357 was intended to be Colt's premium revolver, bettered only by the super-premium Python.
The only known 5" models were nickel plated guns made for the Florida Highway Patrol. These will have FHP stamps on the frame.

If the gun is not a nickel FHP gun, the barrel has been cut down and value goes down.
Value depends on actual condition, with an FHP gun bringing higher prices due to the rarity.

Other factors are the type of hammer and whether it has original grips, especially Target grips.
A 357 from 1958 would have had either small Service grips, or the fully checkered Colt Target grips.
Fully checkered Colt Target grips themselves are worth in excess of $250.00 these days.
Hammers were the narrow Service hammer, or the Colt Target hammer.
Target grips and hammer add to the value.

shortwave

Thanks for response`s. Dfariswheel, this pistol has the Colt full checkered target grips but has the service hammer. On barrel length, measuring from the front of cylinder to end of muzzle is 4 7/8", measuring from front of crane(where barrel meets crane) to end of muzzle =`s 4"`s. Would this be a 4" or has it been cut? If its been cut, they did an excellent job. Also there`s a 'D' stamped under the serial #, is that the inspection stamp?

Singlesix1954

Your Model 357 was made near the end of 1958. I could not find info on 4" other than there were "1 of 170 Made" special editions in nickle made. So the assumtion is that the 4" is a production bbl. length. It appears that production of this quality revolver was about 15,000 1954 to 1969. Hope this helps. Source is "COLT An American Legend" by R.L. Wilson.

Dfariswheel

Revolver barrels are measured from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel.

Colt made the 357 in ONLY 4" and 6" lengths, with the exception of the Florida Highway Patrol special order 5" guns.
Unless you have a FHP nickel plated 357 with a 5" barrel, something is not right if your barrel is 4 7/8".

The "D" is a factory inspectors stamp.

shortwave

Thanks all. Dfariswheel, now I gotta get this thing back out and re-measure. My eyes have failed me before and hopefully again this time. I`ll post back after re-checking. I haven`t had time to shoot her yet. Brought home,wiped down and put in safe. Wifey just read this post and said "if I spent less time on gunsight I`d have more time to shoot" rolleyes:. I hate it when she`s right:eek: