Colt Huntsman manufacture date?

samsmix

I have a Colt Huntsman, serial # 193973 -C

I have tried to find a manufacture date, but keep getti g redirected to "Woodsman" production.

Can any of you tell me when this was made?

MC 1911

I would make a guess that somewhere around 69 - 70. The C suffix stood for Challenger if I remember correctly and they had their own serial # block. When the Challenger was discontinued by the Huntsman the -C was continued for a while.

Sevens

The way I'd read it, the Woodsman was -the- standard for a rimfire pistol back in the day. Bill Ruger and Alex Sturm took the world by storm when they offered their pistol and it ate a large portion of market share from the Colt Woodsman.

Colt answered with "the Challenger", a pistol missing some features of the Woodsman, with the intent of 'challenging' the newcomer in the sales market. The Colt Challenger was offered five years, from 1950-1955, and then the gun continued but the name was changed to Huntsman in order to bring the pistol in line with the classic Woodsman name.

Along with the Targetsman, the Huntsman name just lined right up with the Woodsman. The Huntsman was the spartan, no frills offering. No "last shot slide hold open" ability, a heel magazine release and fixed sights. But the Huntsman was made with all the quality and the gorgeous polished blue that you would expect from a Colt pistol.

The Huntsman is a fantastic gun and you should be proud to own it!