Colt HBAR

Death from Afar

As an aisde, what is the difference between and HBAR and normal AR15? Is it JUST the barrel weight, or do they tend to be better shooters?

Friiguy

Yes and Maybe.
May have different twist rates as well but not always. My Colt Car A3 HBAR Elite is a 1 in 9. It can very though from a 1 in 7 to a 1 in 8.
I dont really know if the HBAR makes it that much more accurate, but it helps dissipate the heat so you can shoot faster.

DnPRK

Having messed with HBars and "regular" AR-15s in years past, the only differences are the barrel contour and roll stamp on the side of the receiver. All components readily interchange between models and there is no hand-fitting or anything else done to an HBar.

Retired

Colt AR-15 HBAR vs. standard weight barrel

Generally, I think the only difference is the weight and contour. But over the years Colt occasionally marketed some "range select" versions of the HBAR, and those can be pretty accurate.

The most accurate rifle I've ever owned is a Colt AR-15A2 Delta HBAR made in the late 1980's. Maybe it really has a "range selected" barrel as they claim, or maybe it was just manufactured close to blueprint specs, but it's a joy to shoot. If you can find one for sale, it's worth looking at.

threegun

If I get time I will picture mine on the thread. I don't think its a custom shop gun. It is however the most accurate semiauto rifle I have ever fired. One 5 shot 100yard group measured under 1/2inch w/ Remington 55grain Ballistic tip. It routinely shoots sub one inch with USA,umc, and other surplus ammo.

Retired

AR-15A2 Delta HBAR

Death from Afar,

The Delta HBAR's weren't permanently marked on the rifles. Besides the shipping invoice, the only other Delta confirmation was on the paper label stuck to the outside of the aluminum case, which included the rifle's serial number.

Colt claimed that the Delta HBAR's spent some time in the Custom Shop before they were shipped. They seem to have polished and tuned the trigger/sear/hammer surfaces. These are standard AR-15 parts, but they have a smoother trigger pull.

Besides the aluminum case, the Delta's came with a rubberized Tasco 3X-9X scope, on a really nice ARMS carry-handle mount, plus a plastic cheekpiece, and a thin black leather sling. There was a Delta-shaped decal on both sides of the pistol grip. These accessories are nice, but what really makes it a great rifle is the exceptional barrel.

Once, using the scope, shooting Federal 69-grain match ammo from a benchrest at 100 yards, I fired a 3-shot group that measured 1/4" from the centers of the holes. Maybe this 3-shot group was just luck, but it can give you an idea of the quality of the barrel.

SamC

I've got a pre-ban Colt AR-15 Match HBAR and this thing flat out shoots. I've got no real idea if it's been "tuned" or not, but it is the most accurate AR that I've fired. I also have a 16" AR with a match grade barrel. It will not come close to the Colt for accuracy. One more thing; My Colt has "Match HBAR" marked on the lower receiver and the serial number starts with the letters "MH".

jonathon

Just the extra weight. They also tend to not flex as much when they get hot, at least compared to a government profile barrel... retain heat for much longer though when they do get hot.