Colt Grizzly?

comn-cents

Anyone have one?(pics) I had a chance to buy one 20 years or so a go and passed. It's one of the few guns I wish I would have bought.

GUNKWAZY

They're out there, but they are not cheap. Good luck on the hunt. Some day you'll find one.

dathreebears.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

absolute0

Leave it to you to have 3 of them Jeff! Other than the roll mark(s) how does a Grizzly differ from their stock Colt bretheren Anaconda & King Cobra?

GUNKWAZY

Other than the paw print roll marks, all Kodiaks & Grizzly's are magnaported, have unfluted cylinders and different grip medallions than standard Colt grips.
The Kodiak came in a 4 inch and 6 inch barrel and is basically a 44 magnum Anaconda with the above noted changes.
I think the Grizzly has only been found with a 6 inch barrel (I don't recall seeing a 4 incher) and is basically a 357 magnum King Cobra with the above noted changes and a Vent rib barrel which is very uncommon on the King Cobra.

kodiakbarrel.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

comn-cents

Colt made 1000 of them 1/2 were 4" the other 6".
They are a king cobra frame with a python brl that is ported like someone said before and the unflutted cylinder.

WOW you have 2 of 500 6".

GUNKWAZY

I've never seen a 4 inch Grizzly, just the Kodiak.
Have you ever actually seen a 4 inch Grizzly ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

comn-cents

GUNKWAZY

I haven't seen a four inch. I remember when they came out, Colt said they were going to make the 4" & 6". Then I read later that they split production between the two.

GUNKWAZY

Honestly, I'm not sure that they finished production on those.
I believe I read that somewhere.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

boa2

My Colt Grizzly

Here are a few photos of my Colt Grizzly! And, I still can't believe I'd found this Grizzly here in Kalifornia!:rolleyes:: This is a very low serial number of CGZ027!
P1050056.jpg

P1050057.jpg

P1050053.jpg

P1050054.jpg

P1050059.jpg

Last edited:

RickB

I'm not generally a revolver coveting kind of guy, but those are some nice wheelguns. A friend "came into" a mint, blued, 8" Trooper, and I sort of thought how nice it would look in my safe, in my hand, etc. When I found out he'd got $300 trade-in value on it at a local gun store, I could have shot myself! If I took my glasses off, it looked like a Python, and $300!!!!!

boa2

Your friend got a bad deal!

RickB:

Yes, your friend got ripped-off! That's a cryin shame too! If his Colt Trooper truly was NIB he could have sold it easily for more money than just $300!:eek:

Spartan117

Colt Grizzly

Hey i'm new to this, but is there a good way to find a colt grizzly for sale? it doesnt have to be mint i want to shoot it and have fun with it. and what would i be looking to spend? GUNKWAZY would you be interested in selling one of yours? if you could help i'd greatly appreciate it. my e-mail is spartanii0117@gmail.com

EdInk

The grizzlies are basically limited run magnaported versions of their
other revolvers. Collectors have driven up the price of most Colt revolvers. If you want a gun to actually use for bear, a Redhawk or Super Redhawk would be a better choice. Also, this thread was over 2 years old. Next time PM the people you're question rather than bringing back an archaic thread. GUNKWAZY still mists on here. The other names I don't recognize as being very active members anymore. Lastly, have you tried gunbroker?

Sevens

Hello! My name is Sevens and I live under a rock!

How the heck does it keep happening to me... usually here on TFL... someone rolls out a conversation on some gun that I've never even heard of!

How?! I've been a certified (certifiable?) gun nut for 23+ years.

Never, ever EVER until 3 minutes ago had I ever heard of a Colt Grizzly or Kodiak.

Actually, the last time this happened it was another dang Colt wheelgun, that ugly duck the Peacekeeper.