Colt Gov't model series 80 SS

ammo.crafter

Last night while competing in a PPC match, the slide on my 45 jams closed on a live round.
Yes a reload. New barrel (Ed Brown) and link, full length guide rod, very accurate weapon.
The slide is tight.

Slopemeno

Sounds like not enough taper crimp..Have you done the "plunk test" to see if your rounds chamber easily?

Here's how to open a 1911 when this happens.
Point the gun downrange. Support it with your left hand- and release your right hand from the gip, but keep the web of your right hand under the beavertail. Now move your right fingers up over the slide. Your thumb is under the beavertail, and your fingers are wrapped over the top of the slide.

This position give you tremendous mechanical advantage. Close your right hand hard and if necessary, mirror that hold with your left. The round will break loose- try to keep the slide from closing again, and clear it.

If your range has a vertical non marring surface, you can push the edge of the slide at the muzzle- ours had some carpeted uprights that were perfect for that.

ammo.crafter

slide lock

Thanks for the suggestions. I did unlock the slide by removing the barrel bushing so that the barrel was movable enough to free the lock up.
I tried several different bushings and link pins and the slide still locks up. The barrel and fitted bushing (Ed Brown) was working great and very accurate but after about 500 rounds the lock up occurred.
Do not know why this is happening.

Hunter Customs

How about more info.

What position is the slide and barrel in when the gun locks up, full battery or partial battery?

Have you checked to see if the barrel has a bulge in it?

Have you checked the lower lug for separation?

Does the barrel lock up when using factory ammo?

Best regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com