Colt Govt. Competition 9MM - 1st outing

JWT

Last week I took delivery on a NIB Colt Government Competition Model 1911 9mm that I found on Gun Broker. Today it went to the range for the initial firing.

The grips feel great with the thumb notch. The gun is a bit heavy but well balanced and easy to control. The trigger is very, very good - the best I've had on a brand new gun. I put 100 round through it with no malfunctions other than a failure of the slide to lock back on some of the initial magazines fired. It was accurate and fun to shoot. I went home smiling and happy I'd decided to buy the gun without ever seeing one.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=101440&stc=1&d=1457302721

Attachments

• Colt-9MM-_edited-2.jpg
    Colt-9MM-_edited-2.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 129

itchy1

Very glad to hear of your positive experience. This is one I'm considering for my next purchase.

rock185

Thanks for the report. May have to try one of those myself. I've had quite a few 9MM 1911s, Colt, STI, Kimber, Dan Wesson and Springfield. They are heavy as you say, but the up side is that the 1911s make for a very heavy duty 9MM platform. Mine handle the heaviest 9MM hand loaded and factory ammunition, including +P, +P+,etc. with no issues. Neat gun. Enjoy

sgms

Man, I've been wanting one for years and you go and make me want one even more. I have had, and still have many 1911's but never one in 9m/m and I want one. It sounds like you got a really good one congrats.

JWT

As a follow up, I took the Colt to the range again today. Put 100 rounds through it and it was flawless. Slide lock back properly after each magazine emptied.

JDBerg

I saw one of these at the Colt booth at the Great American Outdoor Show last month. I thought that the trigger on the one I handled was really nice. Colt is definitely building some nice 1911 guns these days.

Glad to hear yours is a good shooter, what types of ammo have you run through it so far?

Last edited:

JWT

I did clean the mags. Also lubed the slide more generously than before. Used Winchester Ammo today. Used Aquila last time.

smee78

That is a nice addition, I love my 1911 9mm Springfield and they make for a great shooter. I hope yours works out as good as mine has. My first centerfire round I ever fired was from my dads Colt Commander 9mm and it left an impression on me.