Colt Government model .380

(BH)

I have just found a good deal on a mid 80's blued Colt Government Model .380 NIB absolutely perfect condition, never been shot. I'm probably going to buy it.

What are your opinions on it?
Should I jump on a good deal?

And most importantly...

What would you pay for this a this gun?

Last edited:

Mike40-11

They're sweet little guns. Baby 1911. Nice and flat, you can tuck it in anywhere. They're getting to be a little more pricey these days. 600 bucks is about as cheap as I see them anymore. If it was much under that, I'd jump on it. Some seem to go a lot higher.

michael t

600 and under be a steal in my area 750 is going on any of the Mustang series

Never fired with box and papers be nice

JohnKSa

Administrator
Parts are getting really hard to find. They're neat little guns though. My wife loves her Mustang II (more or less a Govt. .380 with a Mustang slide) and some years back I found a nice used Govt. .380 that she likes too.

dreamweaver

the only problem will be getting ammo at a reasonable price! really tough to get any good SD ammo for carry without giving up your first born.:eek:
ther's some fmj still available, but its running round $40 a box!
if the ammo "shortage" isn't an issue for you, then by all means grab the colt.
I have a couple mustangs and like 'em alot.

NWCP

I own two Government .380s and two Mustangs. I wouldn't hesitate getting another if I found one in great shape and at a reasonable price. They are pocket pistol accurate and have been very reliable. As for price... check around on the various sites. I found my last one which has been fired, but in excellent condition for $450. They can run as high as $700+. Since they are no longer produced they can command a stiff price.

dajowi

The problem with the Colt .380s is parts availability. A couple years back I broke an extractor on my Mustang Plus II and searched for over a year before finding one. I sold the gun because I didn't want to go through that again. Information suggests that some Colt Mustang parts can be interchanged with the new Sig P238 .380 pistol. Owners of both guns say the magazines can be switched between the Colt and the Sig and other parts as well.

bakon

When looking for parts for the Mustang series did anyone contact Colt? Do they have parts for the pistols?

gyvel

So much the better if you get a very early one with a solid sear instead of a stamped sear. Also be sure to check and see if the retaining clip for the sear spring is installed. That was an afterthought by Colt and part of a recall or some such.

They are very comfortable guns to shoot, much more so than a Walther PP, PPK/S or PPK.

HisSoldier

Baby 1911.

Most of the similarity is external, the swing link is gone, the entire trigger group is based on the Star design from Spain, that includes the safety. The firing pin block works backwards from the Colt 1911's, but is effective. The disconnector is Star, the slide stop is totally different from a 1911, there is no mainspring housing, as it's integral. There are no grip screw bushings, the screws go directly into the frame.

In short the internal differences outnumber similarities by a considerable margin.

Again, the closest thing to a 1911 in .380 is a Llama with locked breech, very few differences there.

I'm not saying it's a bad gun, just that it isn't really a small 1911.

spikey614

LLama 380

I have a LLama 380 Circa 1962 that has never let me down. I must have run about 1K rounds through her and she just keep on shooting. I've even tried every brand of 380 hollow Points and she just keeps on chuggin along.

I have had a Colt Gov. 380 and she was a tough little thing. She'd gag on H.P's at first but after a little throate polishing she swallowed everything she was fed.

She was given to my Mother when she felt she needed a pistol for protection. My Mom still has her and keeps her on or near at all times. When I visit we go to the range. Mom is a crappy shot and won't take direction well but she can hit a man size target at 7 yds. I don't see her using it much at the Retirement Complex she lives at anyway.

As I recall the Llama cost me $150.00 from a retired LEO friend and the Colt cost $450.00 from a Gun store. The llama is not one of those llama IIIA's. This one looks just like Blue 1911 and has checkered wood grips. The colt is SS with rubber Pach's on her. Both are very fine pistols for what they are.

I would purchase another Colt Gov. or Mustang if I found one at a good price and in good shape. Would I carry one? Maybe out to the mailbox and back.

Borch

I can't tell from the pictures I was looking at, what size is it compared to my Mustang? It seems to be about half way between an Officer's 1911 and a Mustang. Is this about correct?

dajowi

To answer Bakon's question Colt was the first place I went. Every Colt person I talked to had a different response concerning the availability of spare parts and the extractor specifically. There wasn't a single Colt parts supplier or gunsmith who specialized in Colt who I didn't contact as I ran down leads all over the country. One guy even suggested that he would fabricate an extractor, the cost to have this down was laughable. I finally sent letters to the President of Colt, and the C.E.O. I was totally disgusted even though I finally did get a new blued extractor for my stainless slide. It was an experience I wasn't willing to repeat.

TonyDe

Parts Available for Colt Pony

Is there also the same shortage of parts for the Colt 380 Pony. It was offered along side the mustang as double action only pistol. It left the scene as I recall about the same time as the Mustang. I have a lightweight model in my safe and was thinking of taking it out and using it from time to time as a CCW.

Superhouse 15

I have a Government .380 (paid $10 for it but that's another story) I'm a lefty and I carry it as a BUG sometimes so cocked n locked is no big deal if I carry it on my right side. If you are a righty and carry it as a primary the safety will also work for you. If you're a righty and carry it as a BUG, the safety will be on the wrong side (and welcome to my world) if you carry it as a weak-side BUG.

Dave R

ther's some fmj still available, but its running round $40 a box!
This is why you reload. Current retail prices:

Bullet: .16 ea.
Primer: .035 ea
Powder: .02
Brass: free if you ever bought factory ammo, or know someone who does.

Total: 21 and a half cents each. That's $10.75/box of 50. You can go down from there with smart shopping and bulk buying.

omega

Scored a polished nickel .380 Mustang a few weeks ago at a show. I love these nifty little guns.

In any event, I'm having a problem (a common problem, I've heard) with the thumb safety. The safety will tend to flip up and engage once in a while during a round of shooting. This rarely if ever occurs when firing standard loads, but does occur now and then with +P loads - not a good thing to happen if relying on the little guy as a CCW.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Any suggested remedy?

Thanks in advance for any comments.