COLT Government Mark IV Trade

Master Blaster

Greetings, No I am not about to let this great firearm go. This Sunday I made a great trade. I traded a SIG 230 SL that I bought 5 yrs ago used ($250) for a
COLT Mark IV Series 70 with a nickle finish, and two colt nickle finished magazines.
The store wanted 399 for the old COLT so I took out my least favorite dust collector from the bottom of the gun safe and made a trade. I didn't think the store would go for it but they did my sig and $75 cash. The SIG is 10 years old and I bought it used with box and papers for 250 about 5 years ago. Since I got a G26 the 230sl became obsolete as a carry gun. Its snappy recoil and fixed sites made it a poor fun plinker.

Can anyone tell me about the series 70 mark IV??? this one has an adjustible sight with MMC on it. I think it was added since it is dovetailed into the slide. The nickle plating is mat finished. I was told that it may not be nickle the person who advised me of this said he had never seen a mat nickle finish.

Jeff OTMG

The Series 70 is a good pistol. What do you want to know about it? You did good in the trade. The MMC sight was added later, never original on a Colt. The barrel bushing will be of the collet style if original, go spend $10 on a NM bushing and get it fitted. The Colt nickel finish is electroless nickel and has a 'gold' tint to it when compared to stainless steel. The finish was matte except on the slide flats where it was polished on some guns. The pistol could have been refinshed in something other than nickel, but matte nickel is a factory correct finish for the gun.

Master Blaster

Thanks, I just wanted to know if anyone has one and if they have done any work to it.
What kind of accuracy is it capable of?
Is CLP ok for cleaning the nickle finish?
I called COLT and they said it was mfd in 1980 the mmc sights were not standard.

COLT also told me that they wanted $10 for a manual!!!!! I thought everyone sent these for free due to liability concerns.

Anyone know of a manual on the net???

Thanks

Ledbetter

Congratulations,

Breakfree will not hurt the nickel plating. Hoppes and similar will though, if left on.

To polish the surface to its previous luster, use Flitz metal polish every year or so (oftener if the gun is used a lot). Be careful, Flitz is slightly abrasive. If placed in an unlined leather holster, the nickel may darken slightly.

Good luck and best regards,

Ledbetter

Jim V

What are you looking for in a manual? USGI manuals on the 1911/1911A1 are available from several sources. Kuhnhausen's manuals are available at http://www.gunbooks.com . Disassembly information can be found at http://www.m1911.org . Lots of 1911 info can be also obtained at http://www.1911forum.com .

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited November 06, 2000).]

Master Blaster

Well I took the colt apart, and cleaned it.
It looks like it has almost no wear at all inside. the barrel to slide fit is very good
with no wear on the locking lugs. The barrel to bushing fit is very tight, due to the collet bushing. I found that when I retracted the slide slightly I was able to turn the bushing easily with the wrench I have. Until I shoot it a bit I am going to keep the collet bushing. From an engineering perspective it gives a tight lock up, and the tension of the fingers on the barrel will keep the accuracy even after a good bit of wear. I cant see that breakage would be a problem since there is ver little flexing of the collet fingers.

This gun has a standard short guide rod and a plug. the ejection port is not relieved
and I had a hard time cycling semi wadcutter ammo. Of course this may not be aproblem when shooting.

What do folks who own this gun use for ammo?
If anyone reloads wadcutters what OAL do you use. Any favorite loads with bullseye powder?

Thanks

TEXAS LAWMAN

I've enjoyed 4.5gr BULLSEYE under a cast 200gr SWC for 25 years. Bullseye is dirty and there are similar, but cleaner-burning, propellants available these days.

I've fired many thousands of rounds thru my 70-Series Govt. model & Gold Cup model--never had a collet bushing break. Never spoken with a shooter who had one break. [The Gold Cup did throw a front sight once.]

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings All; Over the years I have owned several Colt MK-IV Series 70's and as the
Texas Lawman said, Colt Gold Cup's. :) I can't ever remember having a problem with
either one of them!!! :D :)

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

fubsy

Great firearm.....I must be one 0f the unlucky ones then....I had a collet busing lose a finger and it locked the pistol up tight......I couldnt get it apart, had to have the gunsmith work on it....I didnt want to damage the gun and was conerned that I might.....I use non collet bushings ever since cept for one foray into the "swiveling bushing"(?), I cant remember the name of it....but i hadno problems with it...its just simple is better for me...fubsy.

Jeff OTMG

fusby, that swivel bushing was from Briley and I had one last about 200 rounds before breaking into 3 pieces and sending my recoil spring down range. I use the Colt NM bushings now.

MasterB, the 1911 is capable of some outstanding accuracy if the work is done by a good smith and you have money for a new barrel. 1"-1.5" at 50 Yards (Ransom Rest) can be achieved, but for improved reliability 1.5"-3" is pretty easy.