Colt Gov Mod. .380

Dobe

Just wondering if any of you have or do own this pistol, and if so, what you think of it.

I saw a stainless full size (not the Mustang) used of course, and I am curious what the going rate for one in great shape.

Dobe

utaherrn

I have a full size gov't .380 in stainless

and I love it. Small, flat, controllable, same controls as a 1911.
Disappears under scrubs at work or a t shirt and shorts in the 100 degree weather.
The only criticism I've heard is that the mag release spring is underpowered and some have their thumb contacting it and releasing the mag under recoil, but I'm a southpaw, so have never had that problem.
For customization, there's Scott & MacDougal, or Cylinder & Slide. Been thinking of sending mine off for Novak sights, etc. but I can't part with it for that long.
Have seen them go for as high as $600, but I got mine used for $450. Whenever the local dealer gets one in, they get sold in a matter of days.
I guess Colt management isn't smart enough to bring it back into production.

20cows

A Colt's government 380 was the first gun I purchased when Texas passed the CCL. I carried it until I figured out that I could, with the right holster, just as easily carry 1911 45. The only complaint I had with it that it was just not enough gun for primary carry. (I decided that after running into a bear on a hiking trail and my nephew asked the "what-if" question). Mine was an all stainless steel version. I would still have it, but I needed to trade it in to get my Kimber (that I'm very pleased with).

I paid ~$400, new, for it back in '95 and pretty much got that out of it a couple of years later when I traded it in.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I had really bad luck with mine. I bought mine new, and should've taken it right back. Didn't. Dumb me. The tolerances were so bad that the slide actually rattled on the frame if you shook it slightly. The machine marks on the frame made it look like it'd never been finished at the factory. Oh and if you break it down, beware the "L" shaped pin on the port side top of the frame (sorry, can't remember the name of the part). If it slips down out of place (which happens easily), you'll have a devil of a time getting it back together right. I traded mine in on a Walther.

Tom2

Sense overcame lust

I always have looked at them lovingly at gun shows and have considered buying one many times till the price has gone to 600$ for used ones. Thought it was pretty cool but then rationalised that a single action concealment .380 is not optimum for me. Might go for a Sig 380 if I was considering that cal. for CCW. Supposed to be fun shooters and the only squak I saw in published reports was that they had some tendency to break the flimsy ejector from time to time. Cool sexy looking baby 1911 type thing but for the money they want now, I would consider it more of a collectors item than a practical carry gun, except as possibly a backup. And the compact versions might be better for that. I think it's time has passed.

BillCA

I had the Colt .380 Mustang Plus II -- which was the "Government" frame mated up to the shorter Mustang slide. This was a sweet little gun for carry as it went anywhere but had enough size to carry 6+1 (IIRC) and enough grip to hang on to. Small, flat and fairly light made it a nice carry.

There were only two problems I could see with the little Colts. First was the aforementioned ejector problem (though it never happened to mine) and the second was that if you disassembled beyond ordinary field-stripping it could be a chinese puzzle to reassemble.

If I still had mine it would be one of the last guns I'd ever want to part with.

remat457

Hello,
I bought a SS Colt Mustang +2 last year for $450...I little high for a 380acp I thought, but I really wanted a Colt.

The only thing I had to do was replace the crappy recoil springs and rod, and replace the mag springs. Other than that it has been perfect.

Somebody mentioned MacDougal & Scott for customization. Last I heard they are defunct (I bought my rod from Scott's website) and people were trying to get their pistols back from MacDougal who I believe passed away.

BTW, the pistols make great backups and my wife loves it! I would definitely get one if the price was right!

regards

michael t

Iam carrying my Mustang and if I find a nice Govt or another Mustang its coming home. I had the ejector flip once :eek: Read manual and fixed and has never happened again. :)

Ledbetter

My first Gov.380 is nickel plated and shoots like a house afire. I got worried about carrying it every day so I bought another one in stainless that is now my daily carry gun and is easy to conceal.

I can't imagine parting with either one for what most folks would call a "reasonable" price. ;)

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Michael T

What???? You mean ACTUALLY READ THE INSTRUCTIONS??? Why, that's... that's... UNTHINKABLE!!! I MUCH prefer blundering around in the dark, cussin' and throwing things. Besides, I always have parts left over to play with :D :D :D :D

Peter M. Eick

I really like mine, but I am beating it apart slowly. The barrel is to soft and is the frame and link hole are to low. Thus the barrel lugs are peening up and eventually will jam the gun. The only fix is to weld up the holes, redrill the slide stop hole a few 10/1000's higher and mount a new barrel.

As much as I like the gun, i am not going to drop the money necessary to fix it on the gun.

By the way, if you do a search on the gov 380, you will find that one of the Moderators had a similar problem with his a few years back. I think it was Oleg and Tamara figured it out.

Great gun though. I hope Colt brings them bck some day!

Dave Sample

They were a Star Rip Off by Colt. Different O.S. that the others. Mixed reviews, I believe. I have never owned one, nor will I. Here is a similar gun I gave my daughter for her college graduation present. It's an Iver/Johnston Star in .380.

38825935.jpg

38825917.jpg