Colt Goldcup Trophy

SmokeyVol

I have one in SS and it works well. I paid $900 NIB online a few weeks ago and had it delivered to my local FFL. Very accurate, but needs more break in to get everything working smoothly. A very nice gun.

Slowbra01

Do you mind posting some pics of it and perhaps pm'ing me where you got it for that price. My local gunshop quoted me at $965.

IdahoG36

My local gunshop has one LNIB for $1000. If paying cash, you could easily get it for $900.
Looks identical to this one-
coltgoldcup.JPG

Hunter0924

I have had one for several years now.
I used it for daily carry for a couple of years but went to my 1991A1 for something different.
I have shot a few matches with it with countless range trips. With better than 10000 rounds through the tube and no pistol failures I would say she has been a good one.
To me one of the better match pistols on the market until you go to a full custom (+/- $3000) pistol.
GCT1-1.jpg

darkgael

Gold Cup

I've had a Gold Cup for many years. It is my Bullseye CF/.45 gun. It shot well out of the box. Wanting it to be better, I bought a "match" barrel and bushing for it and sent it off to the late George Madore for accuracy work. He sent the barrel back; the stock barrel was as good or better.
At this point, the gun has tens of thousands of rounds through it. I can count the numbers of FTFs on the fingers of one hand and they are ALL traceable to a problem with my handloaded ammo, as opposed to the gun itself.
Great gun. Still shoots under two inches at 50 yards.
Pete

sousana

I've got three, 1 blue, 1 stainless, 1 ultimate stainless and they are great. I got them not long after they became available on the market. I have yet to have any type of malf with any one of them.

Slowbra01

thanks for the replies!

Can you post pics of the three? I am curious as to how the ultimate stainless looks like.

Are your goldcups safe queens or do you fellas shoot it regularly?

I would like to preserve it in the best condition possible, but i am afraid that once i get it, i wont be able to stop shooting it!

darkgael

GC

"Are your goldcups safe queens or do you fellas shoot it regularly?"

Like I wrote before - tens of thousands of rounds through the gun, no kidding.
Pete

zippy13

No queens here

"Are your goldcups safe queens or do you fellas shoot it regularly?"
My Bright Stainless Enhanced Gold Cup lives in my pistol box between my S&W Model 52 & 41. When I go to the range, it goes with me.
A nice shooter, but I added an extended rod, plastic buffer and the firing pin safety has been "temporarily" removed.

Last edited:

sousana

The ONLY safe queen in my safe is my Grandfathers 1911 that was issued to him new in WWII, he carried it as a bombadier/navigator on B17's in Europe and when he was in Korea. It was given to me on my 5th birthday, and I faithfully fired it until 2000, when it was sent in to Colt for inspection and returned to me for retirement.

I will post pic's shortly. The Ultimate stainless is a mirror quality finish.

sousana

Au Contraire, They are FAR more accurate than any standard run of the mill off the assembly line 1911.

100055598-2-L.jpg
[/IMG]
100055598-1-L.jpg
[/IMG]
100052592-2-L.jpg
[/IMG]
100052592-1-L.jpg
[/IMG]

Microgunner

I used to compete with a Colt Gold Cup National Match and although accurate it was finiky and ammo sensitive. Colt's that run on any ammo tend to shoot ok in my experience. I also found that the average Glock shot nearly as well as my Colt GCNM. But the Colt sure was pretty. Sold it.

sousana

I have a Series 80 blue 1911A1 that is VERY finnicky as to what ammo it shoots well. With ball ammo I feed it CCI aluminum ball ammo which it prefers over anything else and it gives me 1.71" groupings at 31ft. With JHP ammo it prefers either PMC or Remington.

vox rationis

This might be a dumb question, but do the Goldcups come with obligatory adjustable sights? And do they have tighter chambers than typical 1911's?

sousana

Every one I've purchased new from a gunstore has always had adjustable sights. I've seen quite a few in used guncases with fixed Heine or Novack sites, but I'm 100% positive those are aftermarket add ons.

kraigwy

These are my Bullseye Guns, Top to Bottom, Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, Smith 52 wad cutter, center fire pistol, and a High Standard Victor 22 Cal.

I got the Gold Cup in the mid 70s, Good gun out of the box for center fire
45s, however, I shot on the AK NG Pistol team a few times (I was mainly a rifle shooter) and found with hardball loads the front sight would pop off. I replaced the front sight with a Millett Double Crimp type. I also replaced the prong bushing with a match type from Brownell's. I reamed the bushing to fit the barrel, but it still took more then a few hard ball ammo to get the bushing loose enough to function reliably. But once it set in, it shot like a house on fire. And still does, a heck of a lot better then I do. Remember I've shot this gun for 30 years. Once a year, depending on how much I shoot it, I use a gage and ping the rails to keep it tight. It'll shot light 185 SWCs with 3.8 grns of Bullseye, to full charge Hard Ball loads.