Colt Gold Cup Questions (2)

branrot

1. My new Colt Gold Cup seems to be missing the trigger stop. It's the little screw that goes inside the trigger. I called the dealer, and he said the other Colt Gold Cup he had in stock was also missing the screw. Has this happened to anyone else? Has Colt simply just sent out a new one?

2. My new Colt Gold Cup came with 2 magazines: one marked COLT 45 AUTO, and the other marked COLT 45 AUTO - 8 RD. The manual says that the 7 round magazine is used to enhance semi-wadcutter feeding. Why would a 7 round mag enhance semi-wadcutter feeding?

blades67

I don't know about your first question, but the answer to your second question is the follower. The follower for the seven round magazines has a different angle that imparts a higher angle of attack for the nose of the semiwadcutter bullet shape.

branrot

Wow! What do you know? I just compared the mags, and low and behold the followers angles are different by about 5-10 degrees. Thanks Blades!

So assuming I do not shoot semi-wadcutters but instead limit myself to hardball and hollowpoints, I should use 8 round mags (all things being equal, I'd prefer the extra round)?

Also, I'm planning on picking up at least 2 more mags (they must be cheap compared to hi-cap Glocks and Sigs), which should I buy? 8 rounders, and if so what company? I know I won't get USA, but should I look for Colt or some other manufacturer?

blades67

I prefer Wilson Combat magazines. I use their seven round magazines for defensive carry and the eight round magazines for the range and IDPA games. I just feel that the seven round magazines are more reliable.

branrot

Blades: Why do you think the 7 rounders are more reliable? Also, how do Wilson Combat mags compare to Colt or Chip McCormick?

Brian48

Every 8 rd mag I've used tend to weaken over time, especially the one using the "Shooting Star" follower and spring. It's not uncommon for feeding problems to arise over a relatively short period of time (with a year). Usually the first signs are either a failure to feed (more likely the last rd) or the slide failing to lock after that last rd.

Either way, they quickly become unreliable with extended use. I just use them practice now. For home defense or carry, I stick with the 7 rounders.

branrot

Well, I spoke to Colt this morning, and their customer service department (without asking me for my serial number, social security number, where I bought the gun, etc.) agreed to send me a new trigger stop free of charge. This is excellent customer service, which I'm glad for because this is my 4th Colt.

BigG

I like the Colt mags with the pony stamped on the base plate. Either 7 or 8 rounds, they both work.

RickB

Colt's 8-round mags are made by Shooting Star/McCormick. I've been using the same three SS 8-rounders in my Colt for five years (shooting almost every weekend), and other than replacing the mag springs (one went soft, so I replaced them all), they have worked perfectly, regardless of bullet shape. CDNN Investments has SS 8-rounders for $10, 10-rounders for $17, and 8-rounders with the Colt logo for $17.