Colt Gold Cup Question?

Jonpod

Does anyone know why Gold Cups have extra steel removed inside the bottom of the trigger guard? There is something about this look that really bugs me. I guess that it just doesn't look right to me. But I'm curious why because I just don't understand the reason that caused someone to cut a perfectly good 1911 frame to look bad.

stans

Colt began cutting the bottom of the trigger guard where it meets the grip in order to allow the gun to sit lower in the shooters hand. This lowers the bore axis in relation to the shooters arm. When the gun recoils, the gun exhibits less muzzle flip and is more controllable. Colt began this modification with the Series 90 and also added the drop-in style beaver tail grip safety. These modifications are popular among IPSC shooters and many gunsmiths and custom gun makers were making these modifications. Colt attempted to sell a pistol with these modifications already present.

'01 GSR

My series 80 GC doesn't have this cut, yet the series 80 Govt. Model - Enhanced I used to have, did. The GC is only around 3 years old, too.

RickB

Are we talking the relief below the trigger guard, or the wide trigger? Colt's been putting wide triggers on the National Match for forty years (just like S&W puts the Wide Target Trigger on their "target" revolvers). There is a perception that a wide trigger gives somewhat better control. I think it looks cool.

GCT00427

The "Enhanced" Colts had this feature. My Series 80 Gold Cup National Match does. I purchased it in 1995. My Gold Cup Trophy does not. I purchased it in 1997. My Defender does also (Can't remember what year I bought it but it has the real beavertail and Novak style sights). I don't think the 1991A1 production guns have this feature. I am not sure about the XS and XSE guns. I like them both ways. Can't really tell the difference when shooting them.

Chuck T.