Colt Dragoon

Oquirrh

What's a ballpark value on a Pietta (might be Uberti) Colt Dragoon in very good condition? I've had one offered to me if I can come up with a "fair price."

I wasn't looking for a Dragoon, but what the heck.

Last edited:

mykeal

Pietta doesn't make a Dragoon, so it's likely a Uberti.

The Fifth Edition of the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms (2007) lists the Uberti Dragoons as $275 for a gun in 98% condition.

Blue Book values can and do vary considerably in either direction.

Oquirrh

Thanks

That sounds about right. In my locale -- Utah-- second-hand cap & ball weapons don't seem sell very well, so that might be a bit high.

Oquirrh

Colts! and outta my league

turns out the dragoon is a COLT, 2nd generation or whatever you call them--Italian parts assembled in U.S.

And she (her father left them to her as part of his estate) also is selling his COLT '51 navy.

I looked at them with my ignorant eye. they both appear immaculate, I don't think they've been fired.

Btw, she's no fool.
She wants $600 for the dragoon.
$500 for the '51 Navy.

I'll pass on her phone no. if someone is interested.

mykeal

Well, now it gets more interesting.

C or F Series 2nd Generation? Special Edition? 3rd Generation?

From the same source, a basic 100% 2nd Gen C series is valued at $725 (3rd Model only one made); a prototype, identified by serial number, is $1,350. Special Editions vary considerably, up to $8,500 or perhaps even more.

A basic F Series is $650 to $700 depending on 1st, 2nd or 3rd Model. There were also Special Editions in the F Series but they only bring about $1,200.

Third Generation Dragoons bring $600 - $650, with Special Editions near $1,000.

The same questions and ranges of values apply the 1851 Navy as well. It has more variations in the Special Editions. The basic 2nd Gen could be worth from $650 to $1500, with the Special Editions bringing the same prices as the Dragoons.

Need a lot more information to be any more specific. Like pictures, serial numbers, etc.