Colt Double Eagle

gmarr

I've always been interested in this gun. But never had the chance to check one out much less shoot it. Have a chance to add one to my collection. Good idea or not? How's the quality and reliability on these? The one I'm looking at is the 5" Government size.

It's a tank -- noticeably heavier than an all-steel 1911, and WON'T fit 1911 holsters because of the trigger guard. Accuracy is on par with a 1911 (as it should be, since the barrels and slides are the same). I agree on the comment that they are delicate. Both grips hide some very fine springs and things that you really don't want flying around.

I own one. I never shoot it, and will probably be selling it soon. There's really nothing about it to love unless you just have to have a double action first shot.

PatientWolf

While I don't consider mine delicate at all, I've been warned to NEVER remove the grips-advice I've taken seriously.

At the advice of a few gunsmiths based on the rarity, I don't shoot mine anymore.

My Commander model fits holsters designed for the Sig P-series well enough to suit me.

smee78

I picked one up a few years ago for a good price, it is a Commander size Double Eagle in 40S&W. I have shot it a few times and it is a solid gun and has been reliable, I have the second model and its said to be better then the first model? I bought it more as a addition to the collection than a shooter.

peggysue

Dan-O. I have a Double eagle Series 90. One of Colts failures. The are not that much money. You need to get one.

Attachments

• Colt Double Eagle.jpg
    Colt Double Eagle.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

dakota1911

They are becoming sort of collectible. I have one that was a used police pistol I picked up a few years ago for $400. Holster wear but not shot much. It is an Officers model in 45ACP.

One thing to think about on these are replacement parts. Also a MkII is better as with the earliest pistols the grips held a couple springs in and you have to be very careful taking them apart.

These are not that horrible but by the time Colt got them out others like S&W, SIG and others were already there with good DA/SA pistols.

Minorcan

I never bought in to the Colt Double Eagle especially when there were other options like the S&W 5906 etc. The S&W are bullet proof, pardon the pun. The DA parts and design in the Colt just looked to Rube Goldberg for me. I also didn't find the grips comfortable. Neat idea but since the1911 is perfect the Double Eagle just proves you can't improve on perfection ''' ;)

dakota1911 said:
Also a MkII is better as with the earliest pistols the grips held a couple springs in and you have to be very careful taking them apart.
???

Are you saying the the grips DON'T hold the hairpin springs in on the later series Double Eagles? I thought mine was a later one, and the grips sure hold the springs in on mine.

peggysue

MK 2 had a plate under the grips not relying on the plastic grips. It was a good gun just ahead of it's time.