Colt Detective specials

Rail Gun

I'm considering buying one and would like user feedback on how the durability and price of a NIB, like new, and used condition. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's Rail Gun,

Colt's Detective Specials are very good weapons; a
bit pricey nowdays, but still very good guns. I prefer
the old original configuration, without the ejector rod
housing. These little gems are becoming more scarce
everyday; and quite often command a price near the
$400-450 dollar mark, for LNIB condition. As the price
goes down, generally speaking so does the quality.
If weight is a major factor, take a look at the 15 oz.
Colt Cobra; or the 14 oz. Colt Agent! All are six shot
model's, and desirable pieces.:) :cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

4thHorseman

I carry a Colt Magnum Carry. Only because of the higher caliber. I would perfer the Detective Special instead. I think the Det Spec. is a well made gun and fits in my hand very nicely. I really like the way they shoot, very accurate. Theu are much different than Smiths or Rugers.
My advice to you is to borrow one from a friend and try it out first.
IMO I think they are the finest snubby made.

7th Fleet

I sold my Detective Special and replaced it with a Colt Cobra which is much lighter due to its alloy frame. The Colt snubbys are outstanding weapons...

7th

bountyh

The colt Det Spcls have a reputation for fragile works. The only one I've shot locked up when firing hot Fiocchi ammo. I think the newer ones are more reliable.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
As a complete aside - - -

Just say the movie, "L.A. Confidential" on network TV last night. Good crime drama about, uh, integrity problems in LAPD in the 1950s. The property department sure got at least SOME of the stuff right. Dozens of vintage cars, buses, trucks and printed stuff. But most of all, the GUNS! Ithaca 37 Riot Shotguns and four-inch Smith M&Ps, couple of plain-Jane commercial .45 autos, but, most of all, LOTS of Colt Detective Specials!;)

Best,
Johnny

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
My Detective Special is a champion. I've had it twenty-odd years, and wouldn't even consider selling or trading it.

Several things to consider: 1.) if you buy one that needs an action job, it's going to cost more than a Smith & Wesson or Ruger action job, because the Detective Special uses a leaf spring that's much more difficult to adjust; 2.) you'll want to find out whether it handles +P and/or +P+ ammunition; 3.) it's probably going to prove more accurate than the equivalent-sized Smith & Wesson or Ruger, because its barrel's rate of twist is tighter. My Detective Special is rated for "occasional" use of +P ammunition, but not +P+. I'd guess the older models require standard ammunition only.

If you do buy one and plan to carry it, the good folks at Hogue make some dandy wooden stocks than run rings around anything Colt ever slapped on a gun.

Swamp Yankee

Detective Specials around here in 90% condition tend to run between $300 to $350. Detective Specials are great guns. I prefer and carry a 2nd Generation Colt Cobra, the alloy framed version of the DS. If your going to carry I'd look for a Cobra just because it is lighter. All Detective Special accessories will work with the Cobra.
An added advantage of Colt Snubbies, as Colt prices continue to climb, as they will, if you keep it in good condition, you may get back most of your purchase price back, should you ever decide to trade or sell it. Highly doubtful thou, those Colt snubbies are addicting.
Take Care

Rail Gun

Wow, 300-350 for a used one. I was looking on gunbroker and new ones are going for 325-350 wth a buy now price of 375, I MSG'ed a seller and asked the reserve and they said 350, I offered 300 +shipping and they said no thanks. No surprise there. There is another one for sale for 325 and a buy now for 375.

RELIC HUNTER

Colt Snubbie

An inexpensive way to go might be, as I did, buy an older Police Positive and swap barrels. I took a 1930's era Pol. Pos., attached a shrowded DS bbl, and Parkerized it. Makes a bang-up carry piece. I've got about $250 in it. You can't beat the trigger on a Colt!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Colts have a (well earned, IMHO) reputation for getting out of time, but other than that the main problem is stacking on double action. On single action, they are nice, and I think a shade more accurate than many S&Ws. They are more slender than the 6 shot S&W M&P.

Jim

JMC

Det_Spl

Here's one that I picked up about a year ago. I won't tell you what I paid for it but it was NO where near the prices quoted. :D

I've had the extra set of stag horn grips for nearly 30 years now.

Funny, I had this one up for sale awhile back and no takers but there's always someone looking for one. :confused:

I've had about a half dozen DS's over the years and carried one for quite a few years while in LE. They are a little fragile in the works area, especially when +P ammo is used as a steady diet but they are very accurate 2" guns.

I like the DS better than the S&W 36/60 family but I have owned and carried a few of them also. ;)