Colt Detective Special

Amin Parker

Hi all,

I have found one of the guns on my list of must haves. Its a mint condition, never been fired Colt Detective Special.

I have not gone to collect it yet and will do so next week.

I have never fired nor carried one and the only one i have ever seen in the flesh was in a gun shop cabinet.

If any of you has any information for me i would appreciate it.

22-rimfire

They are FINE FINE revolvers!! If I bought one now and was going to shoot it, I would probably shoot regular 38spl rounds though it primarily and load it with +P's for carry with of course some practice so that you know where they are hitting relative to the regular 38's. I believe they are +P rated (at least the more recent manufactured ones were), but repairs can be a problem these days with Colt not making any DA revolvers anymore. So, take care of it and it should last you a lifetime and then some.

Amin Parker

Thanks for that info. I bought it as a collectors piece/safe queen to go with my mint Python.

They are both very rare revolvers that you dont see for sale.

dgludwig

That's my attitude too, MrDontPlay. A couple of years ago, I bought a nib, late sixties vintage Colt Cobra, with box, papers and warranty card for $500.00. Yeah, I admit I had a little misgivings at first of being a cherry picker but I got over that pretty quick. Though no longer "nib", it's been a great carry gun, shoots fine and I've had the enjoyment of using the gun for what it was intended for instead of hiding it in the dark, deep recesses of my gun vault. After all, I'm pretty sure it's not the same gun that Lee H. Oswalt or John Dillinger owned. :D

Pbearperry

I could never own a gun that I was afraid to shoot.If I find a nice Colt Snubbie,you can bet it will get range time.