Colt detective special. Question.

rob i

Hi-

This is my first post on the revolver forum. I am more of a semi auto guy.

I have an opportunity to purchase what appears to be an un fired colt detective special from a local gun shop that a friend of mine owns.

I know very little about revolvers. This colt has a Shroud (I think that is what its called) and has the chubby walnut grips that have no colt medallion on it.
It is insanely nice and there is no visible spin line on the cylinder. It's gorgeous.

The price is $600.

Are there certain years to stay away from? I am going to spin over there tonight to see if I can get a serial number.

If you guys think this is a good gun for a decent price, I will probably jump on it.

Thanks in advance-
Rob

KyJim

I am not an expert (there are a couple of members here who are). That is a fair price for a DS in that condition given today's market. Not great, but fair. You could probably get one with a bit of wear on it, but in good condition, for less. I would try to talk them down some, maybe have them eat the sales tax.

Colt had some labor issues in the early/mid 1980s with the result that some of their workmanship was up and down on some of their guns. To my knowledge, this did not cause functional problems with their guns. If the revolver looks nice and the action is smooth, it should be GTG. It doesn't sound like the grips are original which cuts down on the value for collectors but doesn't effect how it shoots, obviously.

BTW, the labor problem was one reason they went to a parkerized version of the Colt Agent, an alloy version of the Detective Special. The finish on mine is not as nice as a DS, but it still has the legendary smooth Colt double action trigger pull.

Colt_Agent_02.jpg

KyJim

Those appear to be original style grips for the DS third series. The third series has the shrouded ejector rod. They are like the ones on my Colt Cobra below (another alloy version of the DS). The first series had a longer grip frame and the wood grips typically had a Colt medallion.
DSCN0825.jpg

rob i

Thanks. Is the third series known to be good or one to stay away from?

Also, if the one I'm looking at is as new as I described it, does the $600 sound correct?

Thanks so much. I don't want to go into this blind, but am hypnotized by this particular gun. Beautiful.

Rob

KyJim

All the Detective Specials are good. The grip frame was shortened from the original (making it easier to conceal), the internal lockwork updated a bit (less labor intensive), and the shroud put on the ejector rod.

Is it as good as earlier guns? I think its fair to say that a lot of Colt revolver owners are traditionalists and like the older model due to nostalgia and/or collectability.

As I mentioned, I think $600 for the gun is an okay price for the condition it is in. Once you start shooting it and get that turn line on it, the value will drop. However, since it is out of production, it should continue to maintain a good percentage of its value, depending upon condition.

Again, I'm no expert. Maybe some of the real experts will chime in later today or this evening.

kcub

Not a bad price IMO, Colts are not cheap.
You can go to the advanced search functions and see what they have sold for within the last 90 days.

I used to have one but my best friend stole it. I like the 3rd series best because they have that beveled muzzle.

I just bought this one which is a Lawman MKIII snub, larger and in .357
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271200069

For $325 you can have the Colt custom shop refinish it in Royal blue like this one
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272169389

rob i

Thank you all! Will put a deposit on it tonight and hopefully grab it next week! I'll post pics and updates!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

pendennis

I bought this one last month, out the door for just over $500. It's a 3rd Gen, with the wooden stocks. I thought I got a great deal.

ColtDetSpecialMfg1975LFT.jpg

Joe_Pike

$600 sounds high to me. I sold a 1973 Colt Cobra in the box for $460 a couple of weeks ago. I've been trying to sell it for over a year and was asking $495 with no takers.

rob i

Well the deal is done. Maybe i paid a little more than I should, but I absolutely love it. Also, I like to give this guy my business and if I pay a few more dollars there than somewhere else, it's going to a good man trying to run a good business. Happy to support him.

I just put a deposit down tonight. I'll post some pics in a bit.

KyJim

Well the deal is done. Maybe i paid a little more than I should, but I absolutely love it. Also, I like to give this guy my business and if I pay a few more dollars there than somewhere else, it's going to a good man trying to run a good business. Happy to support him.

I just put a deposit down tonight. I'll post some pics in a bit.
Sounds like you made the right deal for you. I also have a local store that I'll spend a little extra for on a gun. I like supporting local businesses though I'm not above ordering long distance when there's enough money involved.

rob i

attached are a couple of pics I took at the store. not the best pics, and the gun is a little dusty.

Love it. thanks for the help today.

Attachments

• colt detective special 1.jpg
    colt detective special 1.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 91
  • colt detective special 2.jpg
    colt detective special 2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 104
  • colt detective special 3.jpg
    colt detective special 3.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 63
Rob, don't let the naysayers get to you. I was going to tell you it was a horrible deal, and ask you for the name of the shop. I would have paid $600 for that gun in a heartbeat.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Is the third series known to be good or one to stay away from?

Nope. Mine's one of the best shooters I've ever owned or shot. As far as I'm concerned, only Pythons beat Detective Specials, and they're so much more expensive, it's beyond ludicrous. I predict you're going to love yours, rob i. Best of success to you!

Olympus

Too rich for my blood. I'd pass on that price. You can find them for $450 to $500 in excellent condition in my neck of the woods.

gunluver

Too rich for my blood. I'd pass on that price. You can find them for $450 to $500 in excellent condition in my neck of the woods.

That's unfortunately part of the "problem" with classics. Going prices can vary substantially in different parts of the country. 2 years ago I stumbled onto a third gen DS in nickel for $365. I, of course, jumped right on it. But since then, I have not seen one in my area for less than $550...and in worse condition. IMO, if rob i loves the gun, feels he paid a fair price, and helped out a friend who owns a local business....all is good! $600 isn't too out of line for a nice DS (in my area)