Colt Det. Spl. dating

SouthpawShootr

I got a Det. Special from an online auction. It is in the process of being shipped, but I'm wondering approximately when it was manufactured. According to the original dealer, the serial number is RD7XXX. It looks to be a 3rd issue gun with factory rubber grips. The reason I ask is that the serial number seems very low for a gun manufactured in the numbers and for the length of time the detective special was. Maybe it was a dealer stock number. Anyway I'd appreciate any help.

Old Fuff

Colt originally introduced the Police Positive Special in 1908 starting with serial number 1 (no letters). The Dective Special was introduced in 1927 and numbered with Police Positive Specials, so they start in the 331,000 range. In 1966 they started using letters, beginning with D900101 Subsequently they used other letter/number combinations. I too think you're gun was made during the 1980's.

Old Fuff

Thirties:

The serial number on Police Positive Special's should be on the frame, next to the crane. Swing out the cylinder and look on the frame directly under the breech end of the barrel. If there are numbers or letters under the grip(s) they are inspectors' marks, unless they didn't originate at the factory. Sometimes others (individual owners, businesses, police departments, etc. did some numbering on they're own.

Thirties

OK, thanks. My Police Positive Special (.38spl) bears the serial number 247,6xx.

Can you or anyone else give me the year of manufacture? The gun has black plastic-looking grip panels.

It shoots very accurately, once you get used to that rear sight, or suggestion of a sight. The gun's light weight combined with the small grips require some getting used to. But I can't help but like this ol' gun.

Old Fuff

Your Colt Police Positive Special was made in 1922. I would expcet the grips to be made of black hard rubber, of the kind used on Single Action Army revolvers made during the same time period. It is most likely chambered in .38 Special, although many were made in .32-20 and .32 Colt New Police (same as .32 S&W Long.) Standard barrel lengths were 4", 5" and 6". Blue or nickel plated finish.

These are nice revolvers - same as the Detective Special but with a longer barrel. You may have an easier time with the sights if you have a gunsmith open up the rear notch a little and change the "U" shape to square. Don't do this however if the gun is in unusually good shape because if would slightly effect the collector's value