Colt Delta Elite?

slammedsi

Whats your thoughts on this gun? Been looking at a 10mm gun for a while now. Came across a new Colt for what i feel is an amazing deal.

ClydeFrog

Colt 1911A1 series 10mm

The first run of 10mm single action Colt models had a few problems in the mid 1980s. I think part of the problem was the powerful 10mm rounds. The Delta Elite was cut a few years later.
The new Colt 10mm models may have improved engineering & safer designs.
If you plan to shoot a lot of hot full power 10mm rounds, I'd go over the Colt to make sure it can take it. You may need to replace or improve the springs and inspect the parts to prevent misfires/jams.
Writer Duane Thomas did an article on the 10mm cartridge's drawbacks and feeding/cycle problems were a big issue.

EdInk

I've heard they are pretty good. Kimber makes/made a 10mm 1911 but I only know one person that has one and he doesn't love it. Your only other option is a glock.

VTRich

I have one and love it. May not be as tight fitting as some other 1911's out there, but it's accurate, and I have never had one failure of any type. I replaced the dual recoil spring and plastic guide rod with a stainless guide rod, and 20 lb spring, along with a EGW flat bottom firing pin stop. Gun runs great. I also have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in 10mm, and it's a beauty. However, Dan Wesson stopped making the 10mm in 2010.

RickB

I replaced the dual recoil spring and plastic guide rod with a stainless guide rod, and 20 lb spring, along with a EGW flat bottom firing pin stop. Gun runs great.

That's my experience, as well. Some people have a dim memory that the frames cracked, while forgetting that the problem was fixed either early in the first year of production, or in testing before any production guns were actually sold. The problem was a crack developing in the frame "window" through which the slide stop protrudes into the magwell. The fix was to mill away the part of the frame that was cracking. I've never seen a Delta that didn't have that mod, and in fact, all Colt 1911s, regardless of caliber, have had that mod since the '80s. The Delta Elite will not hold up to nuclear loads, which some 10mm fans insist on, so be aware that there's an inverse relationship between ammo power and gun life. I generally shoot only at paper with mine, and the target can't tell if it's being hit at 1100fps or 1250fps.

troy_mclure

i got the Dan Wesson rz10 over the DE, i am very regretful that i did.

i also shot the kimber custom eclipse 2 in 10mm. it ejected the brass right back into my teeth.

ClydeFrog

"Go hard or go home!"...

If you do not plan to shoot or carry full power 10mm rounds with a 10mm then I say buy a .40S&W, ;).
Part of the appeal of the 10mm is the high KE level and high muzzle vel.

Jimmy10mm

I've got the Glock 20 and it is enjoyable to shoot and accurate. I had a Delta Elite back in the '90s and regret that I sold it when I read about the slide cracking issue. It was a tack driver and I never had a problem with it that I can remember. That is the good news.

The bad news is that around here ammo for it is scarce. Gun shops just don't stock it in general. Most ranges around here demand that you buy the ammo from them. IOW, you can't bring your own. One local range recently began to allow bringing your own ammo at double the range fee but it must be factory. No reloads. There are a couple that allow reloads but they are far from home.

So depending on where you live and what the regs are at local ranges, the availability of ammo are all things to be considered. As far as the 10mm, I think it is a great cartridge aside from the fore mentioned issues.

Edit; One other thing, the Glock 20 and the Delta Elite are heavy and not suitable for CCW IMO. I'm not familiar with any other 10mm handgun. I imagine the Glock 29 would be punishing to the shooter and not a gun to enjoy shooting 100 rounds on a range day. I could be wrong though as I was wrong once before.

Last edited:

Jimmy10mm

Can you repeat what you know about "the slide cracking issue"; never heard that one.
My bad, I meant frames cracking. Not an uncommon accusation although I don't know how much validity there is to it. No problem with the one I had but as I say, I read about it at the time and got rid of it. Should have hung on to it and took my chances. :(

slammedsi

Well this gun is a new production run. i felt that 855otd was good deal from what i have seen around the internet. But wast sure if the 10mm was going to have downfalls even being a Colt.

ranburr

The new Colt 10mm models may have improved engineering & safer designs.

They are the same guns. There was nothing wrong with the originals. The only mod ever made to them was a relif cut on the frame. The problem was that the 10mm round nearly died out and pistol sales suffered.

Auto426

Well this gun is a new production run. i felt that 855otd was good deal from what i have seen around the internet. But wast sure if the 10mm was going to have downfalls even being a Colt.

That is a very good deal. The last time Bud's Gun Shop had Delta's in stock they wanted over $880 (not counting the 3% they charge for a credit card), and they sold out in a single day. The Delta Elite is a fine gun, and the new production ones are just as good if not better than the older ones. For that price, you'd better jump on it because it won't last long.

crowbeaner

I had a Delta Elite for a few years. It had a full length guide rod. shock buffers, trigger job, Millet sights, and I installed a Colt type ambi safety. I left the stock barrel in, and had I kept it longer, probably would have gone the Bar-Sto route. It simply would not shoot jacketed ammo for beans, but load it with a 175 grain SWC sized .401" over 7.5 grains of SR 4756 and it was a one-hole gun. I tried 4 different makers and 4 different weight jacketed bullets to no avail. Now I know why the guy sold it. I carried it in a Galco Miami Classic holster for 3 years. I could empty the mag into the X-ring at 25 yards shooting lead though. I liked it even though I had to cast for it.

69MachOne

Didn't the FBI issue them to their agents & then remove them from service due to poor performance? I think that a majority couldn't qualify with them?

Jimmy10mm

Didn't the FBI issue them to their agents & then remove them from service due to poor performance? I think that a majority couldn't qualify with them?
If I remember correctly the FBI issued S&W semi autos to their agents. The poor performance was an inability for many of the agents to handle the recoil from what I read. Long time ago and I may be wrong. :p

Auto426

If I recall correctly the FBI issued S&W 1076 semi-autos to their agents when they switched to the 10mm. The guns worked fine, but the agents didn't like the heavy recoil of the round. They ended up downloading the round, which eventually lead to S&W releasing a shorter, less powerful version which became the .40 S&W.