Colt Delta Elite mk iv 10mm question

cmdc

I have one, have actually had it for some time, and want to know what, if anything I need to do to it in order to shoot full-power loads in it.

Thanks

Forte S+W

As far as I know, it's good to go as is. Early examples of the Colt Delta Elite would develop cracks on the frame around the controls with high round counts, but that problem has long since been addressed, and was as stupidly easy as removing a bit of material from the frame where the cracks would form.

While a lot of the factory loaded 10mm ammo is essentially just .40 S&W in a longer case, (180gr @ 1000fps) 10mm Pistols are still built to handle full power 10mm Auto loads.
As usual, there will always be folks who fall for the sales tactics of aftermarket parts manufacturers who insist that a variety of aftermarket parts are necessary for a 10mm Pistol to withstand the awesome power of full-power loads, but if such were indeed the case then you'd hear stories of folks destroying thier 10mm Pistols by actually shooting real 10mm Auto loads through them. Can heavier springs reduce wear? Possibly, but go too heavy and they'll actually damage the firearm through inverse battering, so I think it's best to just trust that the manufacturer knew what they were doing and used heavy enough springs to begin with.

Last edited:

RickB

200grs @ 1200fps, the original Norma load, is full power, and that was the only 10mm ammo available when the Delta was designed.
I've shot such loads in my Delta with no problems.

If you want to go hotter than that, it's not so much wear, as potential for case blow-outs that's the concern.
If you want to shoot really hot ammo, you would want a ramped barrel, which provides more support for the case head.

I do think there are simple/cheap mods that should be done to reduce wear; a reduced-radius firing pin stop, and higher-rate mainspring (more so than really stout recoil springs).

T. O'Heir

"...Early examples..." Shot one of those when they(just a stock factory 1911A1) and the 10mm were new. Nothing special about either. It was a Colt rep who supplied them both. Nothing but Norma ammo available then.
Anyway, "full power" is usually just factory ammo. SAAMI or CIP spec depending on where it was made.

Forte S+W

Full power loads are 200gr @ 1200fps, most factory loads these days are 180gr @ 1000fps, the old "FBI Load" which was the basis for .40 S&W.

Unfortunately, full-power !oads are typically only available from specialty ammo manufacturers who already specialize in hot ammo like Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Underwood. Most other stuff that you find on the shelf at stores is going to be either .40 S&W !oads in a longer case or just slightly hotter. For the full 10mm experience you have to either handload or pay a premium.

RickB

The 175gr Winchester Silvertip is still loaded pretty hot, at about 1250fps.
I had hopes for a Federal round - Bear Claw - that they claim is full-power, but which runs about 100fps shy of claimed velocity.

Forte S+W

Full-power 10mm Auto is often chronographed from 6" test barrels for some reason, so that could explain the lesser velocity since most 10mm Pistols have 5" Barrels.

Forte S+W

Google Image It.

1010px-Colt_Delta_Elite_pistol.jpg

This is a pic straight from Wikipedia, the second result of an image search for Colt Delta Elite MkIV on Google.

Last edited:

RickB

Mine is an early, '88 gun, with late-'90s slide that Colt apparently made as replacements, as no new Delta ever had that slide style.

Attachments

• Delta (3).jpg
    Delta (3).jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

cmdc

I’m the OP. Mine is a stainless model made in 2012.

The Federal American Eagle ammo is listed at 1030fps from a 5” barrel. The Bear Claw is listed at 1275fps also from a 5” barrel as per their website.

RickB

Yours is early rerelease model, looking essentially like a G.I. pistol with better sights?
They're nice guns, but most people want "features", so Colt moved the Delta to their XE series, with beavertail and Novaks, a few years ago.
I put a Wilson drop-in beavertail on mine, and while I'm definitely not among the crowd who thinks the need for a beavertail on a 1911 is second only to needing a rifled barrel, a Delta shooting hot loads is a good candidate for a grip safety swap.

cmdc

RickB, you are correct. Mine looks like a standard GI pistol. No Novak’s or extended beavertail. Also has different hammer a d trigger. I think other than that they are the same pistol.