Colt Delta Elite 10mm Recoil Spring

MP-5

I just acquired a DE 10mm in excellent condition. Im a big fan of the 10mm and believe it is one of the most versatile auto calibers around. With handloads I can poach in the 41 mag terrority or load up some fed "lites" making the DE a nice "plinker." I field stripped the weapon and to my discovery I found the recoil spring guide is made of (polymer) PLASTIC!
"The horror!!" :eek:[Marlon Brando in APOCOLYPSE NOW]
What was Colt thinking? No wonder these things get pummeled!! I totally believe the DE can be a fine, reliable, and durable weapon if properly setup. I also believe the stock recoil spring is a little weak for most full strength 10mm loads. The double recoil design I like but I think I can swap the outer spring with a Wolfs recoil spring. The question is, "What weight spring?" Will a stock 45 recoil spring guide work with the duel recoil spring setup? I am concerned because I dont want the gun to hammer itself to pieces as I understand the gun can do if left in stock configuration. I have heard of guys getting tens of thousands of rounds out of a 10mm if the right recoil system is used. Are shock-buffs and full length recoil spring guide a must? Any suggestions?

blades67

Try a Harts Recoil Reduction System. I have heard that they will keep the Delta Elite from beating itself to death.

10mmman

I use a Wolff 22 lb spring and a full length guide, I have used a stock length Colt steel guide and that worked fine too. I don't think a shok buff would hurt, I use one if I'm shooting pin loads.

RickB

I'm using a Cominolli Frame Saver guide rod, with a Wolff 24# recoil spring, and 25# mainspring. The Frame Saver has two buffers, one on either side of the head; maybe overkill, but maybe a life-extender. I don't know where you would find replacement Colt springs, and I think the short, inner spring is too small to go on a .45 spring guide. King's Gun Works sells a complete recoil "system" for the Delta, consisting of a full-length rod, buffers, and dual springs. I haven't shot any full-power, heavy bullet loads, but my set-up works fine for everything from 155@1000 through 180@1100. If I was to shoot a lot of heavy loads, I'd probably install an EGW firing pin stop (to help delay unlocking, further reducing the beating on the locking lugs and frame) before going to a heavier recoil spring. The 24# spring beats h**l out of the bullet noses as it is.

MD from CT

MP-5--

I know it's horrifying finding plastic parts in your nice, new Colt, but don't panic. Charles Petty and friends put 1,000 rounds of the original Norma load through a blued Delta for the "new product" review back in '87. He reported some indentation of the steel reinforcements on the plastic rod, but no significant wear or degradation of parts. I plan to keep my original parts in there and see how long they hold up.

-MD