Colt Delta Elite 10MM Gen II-- Tabletop & Range Review -- Long Overdue follow up

Mr.RevolverGuy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOHGRbZJ0A

This table top and range review is long overdue. This pistol has been returned to Colt for accuracy and machine marks inside the slide, which delayed the video. Unfortunately Colt said nothing was out of spec and the machine marks were cosmetic and did nothing about it. I asked for a barrel replacement and they would not complete the work saying that could make things worst.

When the Colt Delta Elite Gen II was released I could not wait to get my hands on one, the excitement was off the charts. Upon receiving it and field stripping it I was let down. Due to the machine marks being on the inside of the slide I was willing to over look them until I got it to the range to find out it would not group. I have since fit a Briley bushing — Original bushing OID .698, ID .581 — Barrel OID .579 — Briley bushing after I completed the work ID .580, OID .700, the Briley is a bit tighter than the original to the slide and a little tougher to remove from the slide without the tool. After this work the Colt Delta Elite has proven to be just as accurate as other 10MM pistols which I include in this video as a comparison.

This is a follow up to some of my earlier post where I was unhappy with Colt's answers after returning it to them, but I have finally got it to shoot. SO the excitement returns.

Mr.RevolverGuy

DSC00449.jpg

5whiskey

And that illustrates why I ruled out the 1911 as a 10mm platform. And I love 1911s, but they do have limitations. I know some will come on and preach of how their RIA is flawless with factory (likely weak) ammo...

reynolds357

Good to know that Colt has the Gen II as screwed up as the original. I have two originals and they required me to invest serious time in them.

reddog81

Is that some factory federal brass? That looks awful...

I have a 2015 DE and haven't had any problems with it other than I disliked the sloppy factory trigger.

RickB

I have an original from the late '80s, and no issues with it.
I will admit to shooting very little full-power ammo, as I discovered that cardboard can't tell the difference.

Pictures that I've seen of current production Deltas show what looks to me like excessive throating of the barrel, the funnel running right up to the barrel hood on both sides, when 3:00-9:00 is plenty.

Brian48

My DE from the early '80s would bulge cases like that with the really hot loads. Never had a ruptured case though, and the brass always resized back to shape for reloading.