Colt Delta Elite 10mm case support and rampless barrell

Koda94

Can someone tell my what case support is and how the Colt Delta Elite does not have it? Is the lack of case support a result of the cartridge ramp not a part of the 1911 barrell?

Specifically [is this] why can you not shoot Underwood Ammo 10mm in a Delta Elite?

photo here for reference, is it the small amount of case wall exposed unprotected shown in this photo?

mail

thedudeabides

A barrel without a feed ramp (like most 1911s) leaves an area of the cartridge exposed (unsupported) and prone to blowout with high pressures--something 45 ACP doesn't generate.

Ramped barrels have more support in this area, something you NEED when using high pressure 10mm loads.

Last edited:

Mystro

I have had two IPSC race guns built on the Delta. I did have one case blow out on me shooting the magazine out. Scary but nothing permanent. I would avoid hot 10mms in the Delta.

KyJim

Thedudeabides explained about the lack of a ramped barrel in most 1911s. So why not use a ramped barrel? First, some manufacturers and/or shooters think it is more difficult (read "more expensive") to get the geometry correct on a ramped 1911 barrel for feeding purposes. If you try to split your production line into ramped vs. non-ramped barrels, this will increase costs.

BTW, Underwood does have one 10mm load for the Delta Elite and it is only 60 fps slower than the other loads in the same bullet weight. http://www.underwoodammo.com/deltaelite10mmauto180graingolddotjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

Koda94

Interesting, so does this mean that the 1911 is a limited platform to the 10mm or does Underwood ammo load over SAAMI limits for those rounds?

RickB

The Delta Elite was designed when factory 10mm ammo was still (only) 200grs @1200fps. It will accommodate full-power 10 in stock configuration.
It's possible, with modern powders and measuring equipment, that you could exceed those numbers and stay within SAAMI specs, but there is no "high pressure 10mm"; max is max.
If you need more power, get a gun which shoots a more powerful cartridge.

Koda94

If Underwoods ammo is made to SAAMI specs then I don’t understand why it cant be fired in the Delta. I get it that a small portion of the case is unsupported so there must be some pressure threshold for the 1911 rampless platform even within SAAMI standards?

Its just that many of the Underwoods ammo does not seem much different by the numbers than other brands, that’s why I find this odd.