Colt Defender: Parts Change -Heinie Sights -Ammo

FREE SPEECH

I have been shooting 185+p Gold Dot and Golden Sabre and found both to be a bit more accurate than the 230 Hydra and Golden Sabre. I changed the grips, added a Wilson Slide Stop and now only use Wilson mags and have not had any malfunctions.

Is the 185+p better than the 200+p Gold Dot in this short barrel?

Are there any MIM parts on the Defender that should be changed?

Shooting 185+p, is the factory recoil assembly good as is or is there better?

Can shock-buffs be used on the Defender?

How often does the factory recoil assembly need to be changed?

Any one have experience with the Straight Eight night sights for the Defender?

Any other recommendations to make the Defender perfectly (or as perfect as can be) reliable for carry?

Rosco Benson

The Heinie sights for the Colt "Defender"-style slide cuts are very attractive and functional. The tolerances on Colt's slide cuts wander a bit, so there will probably be a bit of light showing between the bottom flat of the sight and the slide, but no more than with the stock Colt sights.

Rosco

Steve Smith

I wouldn't expect recoil buffers to work on your gun. I haven't seen many commander length or shorter 1911's work well with them. I certainly don't use them.

Randall Shaw

I install the trijicons on mine and love them
Also installed a wilson's trigger other than that its stock and a nice carry piece .

Kernel

426100090.jpg

Heitt "Red Buffs"
Unlike other companies one-size-fits-all approach, "Red Buffs" by Heitt Technology come in three thicknesses. I use "090" in my Combat Commander and have never had a problem. Because they're thinner I change buffs every 500 rds. -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited February 20, 2000).]