Colt Defender Disassembly / Reassembly Video link – No Tools

kayakersteve

Hey guys - I posted this on another forum and had some great responses, so I will do it here also since this is the forum I spend most of my time on. The Colt Defender need not be difficult to take down and no special tools are needed. I made this video today and it is posted on my YouTube Channel (StevieBar) or by clicking on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgvldxZQbqI

Coltman 77

Nice work with the video. Thanks much!

I have a Colt New Agent and I'll admit it can be tough to take down and reassemble. Seems like a need a third hand. :D

fastforty

I saw this thread on the other forum too so I finally decided to have a looksee at the video (cuz I might be missing something). Hmmm, that's the way I've always done it, there's another way? What "special tool" are we avoiding the use of?

You *have* to have a little clip-on thingie that goes on the guide rod of a Springfield EMP to keep the recoil spring partially compressed. Without it, I can get the slide off of the frame but I cannot get the recoil spring assembly out of the gun. I've never had the problem with my Defender.

But anyway, great video- good visibility and great use of time.

kayakersteve

Fast forty..

Several people that own the Colt Defender dread cleaning them because they perceive the takedown adn reassembly as too hard. people just use a bore snake and spray the gun down instead of giving it a proper cleaning. I think part of this is because the Colt manual is not very detailed and leaves a lot to be desired. I just kind of worked my way into cleaning it like I show in the video. Some people buy a special tool to help depress the recoil spring....not sure why????

Sgt Pepper

great video. nice, clear, verbal instruction. one piece of constructive criticism - don't move your hands/fingers so fast when executing each step. i can follow with ease, but if i did not know what you were doing, i might lose you or not really see how you were doing something here and there. i wish that i had a video like this for some of the various guns that i owned over the years. thanks!