Colt Commander Series 80

I found a Colt Commander, Series 80, Stainless steel for $550. I can't find much info whether its a good price or not. Its NIB from a dealer going out of business. What do you think about buying it?

It has the new firing pin safety which seems to effect the trigger pull. Any experience with it?

Thanks...Tom

MH

Sounds like a good price - go for it. You can remove the firing pin safety if you want.

DAVID NANCARROW

The FP safety can be removed, but be advised that instead of the capture style half cock you might be used to in a Series 70 has gone to a simple shelf and does not work the same. Despite the gripes of some, a Series 80 can have a very nice trigger pull with the FPS. Some have the cast sear/hammer worked on or replace the parts, some change springs or a combination. On my newest 1991A1, all I did was install a Chip McCormick tool steel sear (a whole $12) and it took away the slight creep. If you're not familiar with the lockwork, have a reputable smitty look it over for you.

Sundance

Good gun...Good price...and yes, the Series 80 safety does have some effect on trigger pull; however, a decent gunsmith can overcome 99% or better of the noticeable problem. You can obtain a lighter trigger pull with a pre series 80 but on a combat gun, you shouldn't go under 4# anyway so not an issue. The Commander size is one of my all time favorites. I have owned four different ones...2 Colts, a Para P13, and a Kimber Pro Carry. I currently still have the Kimber Pro Carry and will most likely never part with it. No major gripes with either of the Colts. The Para liked to jam but I am sure a gunsmith could have fixed it. I love the Kimber.

FPrice

BUY IT!

Offer him $500 cash if can get it together and see what he does. It he says no, then work up to his asking price.

I prefer the Series 70 myself, but faced with a choice of a Series 80 or nothing, nothing comes in a distant second place.

RickB

"New" firing pin safety????? Every Colt (and Para Ordnance)made in the last twenty years has had the Series 80 firing pin block.

FPrice

RickB...

""New" firing pin safety????? Every Colt (and Para Ordnance)made in the last twenty years has had the Series 80 firing pin block."

Considering that this design is almost 100 years old, "new" is kinda accurate.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
As for myself, I prefer series 70 Colt's; and it particular
the Gold Cup National Match .45's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

GITSOME45

I would'nt buy it, ;) it will probably only be a disappointment...

LOL...

Just give me the name and address of the dealer and I'll "save" you.... :D :D :D

(wink, wink, nod)

JMHO

SteelyDan

I've shot two Series 80's, and both of the triggers just "melted into" the shot -- it was so smooth I don't know how else to describe it. They were Gold Cups, and maybe they come with better triggers, I can't remember. But the point is that Series 80 does not necessarily mean bad trigger pull.

OK, OK, I Bought It

I bought it. Too good to pass up. Now to the range. The dealer was going out of business and I appreciate the opinions on the price and all. And the offer to be saved ....
Thanks... Tom:p

GITSOME45

Congratulations ,

Sometimes a Colt needs to be "tuned" a bit out of the box, but when you get it runnin' smooth... :cool:

I've ALWAYS liked a good Colt .45... ( "God made man, Samuel Colt made them EQUAL." )

Enjoy... :)

geegee

The price is right, but be advised that if you ever had to use it in a self-defense shooting you would be a prosecuting attorney's wet dream: "He was such a vigilante type, he even had to remove part of the safety system." :( My non-lawyer advice is leave it "as is". geegee

good point, didn't think of that one. But then it would apply to a lot of modifications...how about just smoothing the trigger pull on a revolver or 1911?. Tom

GITSOME45

Perfessr,

I was only refering to how a firearm can "Equalize" a 95 lb. woman against a 300 lb. male attacker...

JMHO (just my humble opinion) :)

Edward429451

I'd leave the firing pin safety in place if I were you. I heard that crap about the triggers (by the old traditionalists, and rightly so... for them) long ago when I bought my series 80 in 1984. Tried it out and found out I liked it as is and do pretty good with it.

It breaks at 4-1/2# and I smoothed it up by polishing by hand only the back of the trigger and the front of the disconnector. Who needs less than that in a trigger on a gun for SD?

Enjoy your new gun! Its great. Mines been virtually trouble free. If you dry fire it without snapcaps, you'll end up peening the little hourglass shape FP safety and have to replace it. Around every 500 or so dry fires is what I did.

Have fun.