Colt commander purchase

Zathras

A co worker offered this up to me as he was cash strapped..I paid him $450.00 for it..just wondering if it was a good deal..I like it, and of course its used with some wear, but I think it would make a nice CC if the need ever arises where I would want this caliber...Wondering what you guys think..Is that the going price for a used Mark IV series 80 commander?

Attachments

• Command00.JPG
    Command00.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Command01.JPG
    Command01.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

uradaisyifudo

Nice work

It has a pony on it, and you helped a friend out, that sounds like a good deal. Somebody else will probably do a search and tell you how much one went for on gun broker, and someone else will tell you a gun is worth as much as someone will pay for it. I'll say you did good.

WVsig

If it runs you did great! Function check it and hit the range. You could easily flip it for another $100 to $150 dending on your local market.

WC145

A nice, unmolested Colt Commander for $450? Yeah, you did well, I'd have hurt myself trying to get my wallet out for that deal. Congrats on your catch, let us know how it shoots.

RickB

Looks like an '83 or '84 Lightweight; only the first year or two of Series 80 production still had the small, G.I. sights.
When I was looking at Commanders, fifteen years ago, $450 for that gun would have been a decent deal.
Someone swapped-out the original grip safety for the later "rat tail" style that Colt introduced a couple of years later.
I bought a gun similar to yours, put some bigger sights on it, and it's been a great gun for occasional carry and IDPA matches.

psyfly

Not just a good deal, an exceptional deal.

It will make a great CC weapon with a good holster setup.

"Going price" will vary some, but a good clean Commander at your buy point will be found rarely, if at all.

IMHO, you owe your co-worker a pretty solid favor, should he ever need such :D.

salvadore

The ejection port is a bit different on mine which I thought I bought when the series 80 first came out, but maybe not. It also has a flat top and is dished on the front grip behind the trigger guard. The front sight is original so I'm thinking the original sights on mine were bigger.

I don't see much difference in recoil between my LWC and my full sized steel framed 1911s.

RickB

That's an "enhanced" Commander, which came out in '92. Replaced by the "XS" series circa 1999, then the "XSE" circa 2000.