Colt Commander Magazine

alamo

A friend of mine can't make the gunshow this weekend
in Austin and wanted me to see about getting him a
magazine for his lightweight Colt Commander. I would
guess the gun is 15+ years old if that makes a difference.

I'm not familiar with Colts and wanted to get some
opinions. I assume I should just get a Colt factory
magazine or are there any others that are just as
good that are less expensive? Any that I should definitely
avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Alamo

BigG

The Commander uses the same

magazine as the full sized Colt Government Model or the GI 1911A1 or the other 45 Auto clones like Kimber, Springfield, etc., etc. In other words they all use a GI magazine. Make sure your buddy's gun is 45 caliber or find out what caliber it is as the mags are different for different calibers.

Recommend you get a genuine Colt magazine OR a US GI magazine. There are usually lots of them available at gunshows. Avoid Kimber or USA magazines like the pox. Can't tell you about any other names but Genuine Colt is the best I've used.

HTH

BigG

Ledbetter

He's right, they use the same.

McCormick and Wilson are also good, but every gun is different. My Commander likes McCormicks, but they don't suit everyone. If you come back with a colt, your friend can't say you didn't get the right one.

Good luck.

Mal H

Staff
I've gotten excellent service out of several Mec-Gar magazines in my Commander. Ledbetters last sentence is certainly true.

Jim V

One thing about magazines for the 1911 series of pistols (that includes the Commanders) there are a lot of them out there. I don't know who makes the Kimber magazines so I can't comment on them, I'd avoid USA magazines and Triple K magazines. I've never heard anything bad about Triple K but then I've never heard anything good either.

Find a magazine marked Colt and go with it. Like it was said, your friend can't complain that you did not get the right one.

alamo

Thanks for the replies. I know it is a .45, should have mentioned that. I will look for a Colt & if I can't find any, I'll try a Wilson, McCormick or Mec-Gar.
I know Mec-Gars are good, they make magazines for Kel-Tec.

GFW

Allen Yoast will be at the show in Austin. Why don't you try to look him up there. He's an honest man and wouldn't steer you wrong even if you didn't buy from him. he also contributes to this forum.

juliet charley

In addition to the ones previously mentioned, I have had good luck with Metalform--they make the "Colt" magazines for the newer Officers Models.

alamo

Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting a Mec-Gar for $16.95. The Colts were $29.95 for stainless. My friend is not a big shooter & I don't think he would have wanted to pay the extra for the Colt. The lady at Clips-R-Us said I could exchange it for a Chip McCormick or another Mec-Gar at the show next month (We have a gunshow in Austin every 3rd weekend of every month here) if it wasn't feeding reliably.
Didn't get a chance to look up Allen Yoast - had to get back to see George W. sworn in this morning!