Colt Commander .45 - Need help !

alp-257

I have the opportunity to buy a Colt Combat Commander Enhanced (mint condition) from a friend of mine at a very attractive price.

I´ve tested the gun and really like it, the only problem is that the gun is very fond of to stoppage. Allways the first ammo of the magazine keep crossed in the throat of the barrel, for all type of bullets (FMJ ball or truncated and HP)when I try to put the pistol on battery.

Since I´ve tried with eight different magazines and the stoppages continues, do you know any solution before asking or sending to the gunsmith?

Run your finger over the feed ramp. It's critical that the feed ramp is smooth. Check the breechface for smoothness as well.

Check all your magazines. You want to ensure that the feed lips aren't bent and are parallel (or at least are symmetrical to one another). Try loading the magazines with one less than full (for a seven round mag, try only six rounds).

Check the slide and frame fit. Rack it back and forth several times. When racked back, it should leap forward with a healthy jump. Be sure to apply some oil/grease to the slide rails.

alp-257

4V50 Gary:

Thank you for your recommendations. I´ve the gun with me right now, I´ve checked all and is OK.

I´m comparing the feed ramp with the ones of my other two 1911 and the angle seems different. Do you think that this could be the problem?

Ledbetter

What kind of magazines

Do you have any factory mags? Have your other 1911s had work done? Sounds like gunsmith time to me, unless you can shoot two or three hundred rounds and see if things loosen up enough to feed the first round.

Edited to add that you could try a 16 lb. recoil spring. The factory 18# may be too new and stiff to allow the first cartridge to feed.

[Edited by Ledbetter on 11-21-2000 at 06:11 PM]

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
mags

Before you run off to a smith, try lightly polishing the feedramp. If you are unsure how to do this properly, don't do it then.

However, a lot of jams are caused by poor mags. Do any of your friends own 1911's? Do any have either Mecgar or Wilson mags? If so, try shooting a few mags through your commander with those mags.

GIT_SOME.45

Another thing you can try if your other 1911`s are TRUE 1911`s, take the barrel out of one and put it into the Colt Combat Commander(it will stick farther out in front if the barrel is from a 5" bbl.).
Afterwards, try ammo feeding again. If no problem occurs after the switch, then you know that it is the barrel/feedramp that is the problem...

JMHO, good luck.

Sincerely,

Howard

alp-257

I really appreciate your help, since I could find the problem,... it is in the feed ramp.

Thank you very much again.

alp-257