Colt Combat Target 45ACP/400Corbon

41special

I just picked up a NIB Colt Combat Target with 2 barrels.

45ACP and 400 Corbon

I'm not at all familiar with the 400, but I've come to understand it's a 45 necked to a 40.

How is it ? Advantages - Disadvantges ? Ammo...........?

Any info would be appreciated.

I searched the old forums but did'nt see to much real experience or info.

sageowl

Yes, it is a .45 necked down to .40, according to everything I read after seeing your post. I'm amazed at one thing ... "bullet weights ranging from 135gr to 300gr." Assuming that's not a typo ... wow. The heaviest I was able to find was 180gr, so take the 300gr figure with a grain of salt (no pun intended). Ballistics on it are rather impressive ... pushing .40 bullets with .45 +P power ... getting up into the 1400fps range even. Defensive ammo from CorBon is available online and is somewhat expensive, according to my cursory check, something like $16 for box of 20. Plinking ammo was not forthcoming in the few minutes that I tried to look for it.

So ... let us know how it goes! I wouldn't mind getting one of these one day.

Dave Sample

Yeah! That is one of my favorite rounds. I have a dedicated 1911 just for that caliber that will get finished today. EAGLE III is a 400 Cor-Bon with a Fred Kart NM barrel and bushing that I will have mucho fun with.
It is a Two Tone Caspian blue steel lower with an Evil Mojo top end that I bought by mistake. I will get a trigger group in it today and it will be off to Gunsite for the final finish on the lower end.

99827332.jpg

99827481.jpg

I have been wanting to try a NM Barrel in this caliber for a long time. I have had a lot of fun relieving the ho hum boredom of the 45 ACP Auto with these flat shooting rounds in another gun that I traded off for a $4000.00 diamond ring. I will have my Ex Special Forces/Ranger pal test fire it when it's done and give you a range report. He is a lot better shot than I am.
I have double carbide dies that resize a 45ACP case to 400 Cor-Bon in one stroke. They are easy to reload in once fired 45 ACP cases and then are re-loadable when fired for many times around. I have some recipes for these loads and have fun trying to get them to go fast. I like Lee's tumble lube lead bullets in their .401 mold and have shot thousands of them when I was playing with the 10mm Centaur which I liked even better. I think Dillon has these dies for about $125.00 and you get your money back quick with the price of factory ammo. I do not care for the Starline 400 Cor-Bon Brass and use once fired 45's most of the time.