Colt Colteer 22 mag Single Shot

bn12gg

I picked up a clean Colt Colteer single shot in 22 mag a couple weeks ago. While I have learned a little about the rifle's history on the web, I'm curious if anyone has had shooting experience with the rifle. My club is closed with me chomping a little to get out and see how accurate the little rifle happens to be.

Thoughts from those experienced with the gun. ??

David :)

HiBC

That was the first rifle I bought as a kid in the 1960's.

I put some Weaver 4X on it. A C-4 I believe.

I'd sling it across my back take some water and ammo and some targets,and pedal my bicycle approx. 8 miles to get to the county range,then 8 miles back when I was done. A 15 yr old could do that back then with no LEO attention.

I would cut out my target centers and mail them to my oldest brother,who was a Medic at a SF "A" camp a bit south and west of Da Nang in 1968.

As I recall,they were respectable groups. That was long ago.

Who knows how that 52 yr old rifle would shoot today. I was happy with it.

I traded it in on a 10-22 later.

Drm50

I had both magnum and 22lr. Slick little rifles. We didn’t shoot magnum much but the 22lr got a good wringing out. It shot as well as you could hold it. One of nicest looking 22 single shots of the day. I also had a Colteer auto loader. It was made in France and I think the Colteer single shots were subbed out too.

dgludwig

As much as I loved/love the little Winchester Model 67 .22 rifle that I received as a Christmas gift back in 1957, I've always thought that the Colt Colteer was the best looking single-shot, .22rf rifle ever made.

bn12gg

Folks, thanks for the thoughts on the Colteer 22 mag. I don't need another 22 caliber rifle but heck it is pretty -- solid walnut with decent figure. I have a 22 mag Colt New Frontier and Colt Scout -- so I figure the threesome would make a nice 22 mag day at the club once this pandemic subsides.

I have a 2 year old grandson and if I live long enough (71 y/o) it would be a perfect starter firearm. I don't believe in starting kids on 9 mm's or AR15's. Back in the day I thought I had gone to heaven when my uncle replaced my Savage (I recall) single shot with a Remmington with a 5 round magazine.

Well, Be Safe !!

David :)