Colt Cobra questions

croyance

While waiting my turn on Beretta Range Day, I saw a Colt Cobra in the case.
It looks interesting, lightweight with excellent trigger - smooth and light but not too much so. The blueing on the cylinder is worn in splotches, but no rust. The timing looks good and so does lock-up.
I see that it is the alloy version of the Detective's Special - are the grips interchangable?
Do they have a bad reputation for wearing badly? Perhaps going out of time easily if shot much?
It one generation or serial number run of markedly better or worse quality than another? How do I differentiate between generations?
Is the speed changer size interchangable with any other revolvers? I seem to remember that Colt snubbies used the same speedloaders as some S&W's, but I don't remember which.
Last, is $300 a good price? I have other guns to fill the niche and don't believe in guns as an investment (unless it is obvious like a Python). It seems like a nice little piece.

Thank-you in advance.

Majic

You hear of the stories of all Colts going out of time yet thousands of people still carry Dick Specials and thousands of OPs rode in LEO holsters. If the problem was as bad as some make it out to be then it's amazing that so many Colts are still in use today.
Yes the stocks/grips are interchangeable with most D-frame Colts. I say most because there was a long and short grip frame for the D-frames at one time. The later versions all had the short grip frame and the stocks interchanged between them all. Probably any aftermarket stock you find today will be the short version. The long stocks for the earlier versions can be difficult to find and probably expensive.
The differences in the variations would be the early models with the long grip frame, the models with the short grip frames, and the models with the shrouded ejector rod.
IIRC (but I can be wrong) the speed loaders for the K-frame Smiths can work with a D-frame Colt, but there are dedicated models for the D-frame Colt.
Depending on how bad the finish is the $300 isn't a bad price as all Colts are rising in price now. It's not a rare revolver so with a little shopping you may find one with a better finish for not much more.

john45colt

The first issue Colt Cobras didn't have the the barrel shroud. I found a second issue at a local show for $275.00. Nice pistol, I enjoy shooting it.
I only have one Colt Snake pistol left to complete the seven.

Last edited: