Colt AR15 experts....I need some info

MP-5

diemacoc7-1.jpg

I own an AR15 sporter II which a bought new in 1988. Wow almost 20 years ago!:eek: It was one of the early A2 models that have the transitional A1 rear sights. It has the A2 handguards, barrel, grips etc. but lacks the drum adjustable rear as on the A2 model. It resembles the Canadian C7 above.

Question: Is this model collectable and would modifing hurt it's value? I want to put a flat top A3 receiver on it (Danial Defense makes a large hole flat top) but hesitate to do so if the gun is a collectors item. I have never seen an AR15 A2 like mine with A1 sights on it. Does anyone know if it is too valuable to modify??

Jim Watson

Friend of mine has one and shoots it regularly. It is more accurate than my H-BAR.

Just changing the upper would not constitute an alteration; you could always put the original upper back on. So it would be worth as much... if you cashed it in before Hillary melted it down.

rgitzlaff

If you put a different upper on it, your not really modifying the rifle at all, just changing parts. It might have some value as a collectors item, I don't know. Go ahead and change uppers, when you want to sell it, put the old one back on and you have it back to original.

VUPDblue

Yeah, what they said. The 2 things that rifle has going for it are 1.) It's a Colt and 2.) It's a PRE-BAN Colt. Swapping uppers wouldn't constitute alteration. That being said, I mean swapping out COMPLETE uppers wouldn't be bad. Now if you are talking about replacing the upper receiver and migrating your existing barrel, guards etc. to the new upper, I would advise against that.