Colt AR in 7.62x39 Questions

Lurch37

I've got a chance to get one of these for 1K or so. Never had one and was wondering if they are much fun as the other AR's are in 5.56...(AR's are...? it's late ok :D).

Probably one of my bigger concerns is magazines...are they harder to find or am I not looking in the right place?

I like shooting brass in my other AR's but what about this one in 7.62...just because it's in a different caliber, does it make it better to shoot the cheap Wolf stuff?

Thoughts please.

SilverState

the AR 7.62X39 fankenmags are what is not to like...

for that caliber, stick with one of these:

SAM7Sr.jpg

Billy Sparks

The only sticking point would be the mags. I did a quick search on Gunbroker and couldn't find one mag. Don't know you might get lucky. I just remembered that C-Products is making 5 and 10 round 7.62 mags (mainly for the XCR) and they should work. They are hopefully working on a 30 rounder also.

yotesmoker

buy it

I've been shooting one for a couple of weeks {steady] now.Got a couple of 5 and 10 round mags from c products and with some very little tweaking it runs great.My ar in 7.62 will shoot quater size groups at 40 yards with cheap wolf ammo.Since you can't hunt with a semi in my state I figured I only needed one semi for target and fun only and it happens to be my colt 7.62.I'm dumping my ak and mini-30.

MMcfpd

My 7.62x39mm AR is not a Colt, but it is the same configuration, and it's easily one of my favorite rifles. For that round it is much more accurate than my AK or my SKSs and has both of those beat ergonomically.

As mentioned, C Products makes 5 and 10 round magazines that are now available and their 30 rounder is imminent - they have said they will have them at SHOT in a few weeks. Frankenmags were made by USA and are out of production, but findable, and they work just fine in my rifle (Model 1 upper on a Noveske lower) and come in 20-, 30- and 40-round sizes. 7 rounds in a regular 5.56 mag works well also. Colt made some 5 rounders that are around as well, but for the money I'd just get new C Products mags.

Some people have had ignition problems with the harder primed eastern european steel case ammo (such as Wolf) and MGI has developed a firing pin and bolt combo optimized for that use. I haven't had a problem.

benny27

Olympic Arms makes the 7.62x39 version as well for a lot cheaper. For that particular round I'd go with a nice Ak though. I had an Arsenal (Bulgarian) AK that was actually quite accurate, and very reliable. It's hard to beat a good ol' AK, the 7.62x39 was made for it. It really comes down to what you want more, power or accuracy. The 7.62x39 will always pack more power, but the 5.56 will always be more accurate generally speaking. Another thing to consider is Wolf ammo in Ar's, I've heard nothing but bad reports on this.

Lurch37

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got the mandatory AK-47 that is a blast to shoot, and also have a Colt Ar in the standard 5.56. As Billy said I also haven't had much luck finding mags for the 7.62 caliber either.

My interest was aparked when I ran across this one in 7.62 and also one in 9mm. I just was wondering if they were worth the money and of course if a guy can find mags for them. The 9mm has been sold and I was just curious about the one in 7.62.

Thanks

chris in va

You've got one of each (AK/AR) so why not try a different platform? Or just stock up on ammo, the way things are going it'll probably be highly restricted soon.