Colt Anaconda ----What to do? -----

superpelly

Colt Anaconda ----What to do? -----Bought a Python instead

Found a colt anaconda, 4 inch, SS ,about 98% No box. The price is
$1400 :eek: Never paid that much for a pistol. I see they are going from $1400 to $2000.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Colt46

Seems good

It is still a pretty rare handgun and I haven't priced them, but if you pay on the lower end of bluebook for 98% condition I say get it. It's not going to have the same collectability of the Python and other older colts, but it's a good revolver.

BigJimP

If it fits your hands ...and you like it ....buy it / and shoot it ....

The Anaconda is not as popular or holding its value like the Pythons are ...but I think they're nice guns...

If price is really the issue for you .../ then look at the comparable S&W ( model 29's in .44 mag / model 27's in .357 Mag )....they made Nickel versions of both models that are very collectable but more affordable than the Colt's...and darn fine guns, in my opinion ( and the S&W's fit my hands better than the Colt's)..../ but everyone should buy and shoot whatever they like !

Price range of $ 1,400 - $ 2,000 might be conservative based on what I see...( I see a lot of them in the $ 1,800 - $2,500 price ranges )......

Last edited:

jasmith85

I passed up a similar one couple years back with the box at $1200. Still kicking myself over that.

I did even worse. About 2 and a half years ago I passed on an Anaconda complete with box for $800 at a gun show. I passed on it because I really wanted a new p226. I'm still kicking myself for that one.

ya know... I'd be the 1st person to say buy what you like, it's the variety that keeps our hobby interesting...

but me personally... I have no interest in one of the Colt snakes... yep bluing on the vintage ones are the best, by the time they were stainless, I think they were not what they were in their best days, the triggers are sweet, but the mechanism is sensitive, & easily damaged by heavy loads, or easy to get out of time, with lots of use, & they are worth just too danged much money to damage...

I have a couple old S&W's of their glory days, & those triggers are also awesome... I have this "old" 357, that has the best trigger of any gun I've handled, & the S&W is more robust than the Colts... ( not that I'm bragging up my vintage S&W ) but it's worth a fraction of what a Python is...

got a buddy that had to send his Anaconda to get retimed, after too many "warm loads" after he got it back, he decided to sell it, & traded it to a dealer, that gave him 2 guns that he'd always been looking for, & cash to boot, both are happy...

now that I'm done ranting... what do you want to do with your snake ??? price seems reasonable, but it's never going to be all "that" collectable, without the box & papers ( my buddy had all the stuff with his Anaconda ) if you are buying it with plans to shoot it, I recommend something more practical & durable

attachment.php

Last edited:

superpelly

Passed on it. But did buy a Colt Python that the bluing was bad. The Python had been reblued and filled in the Colt stamp But the action is great, barrel is super, and cylinder tight. Paid 600.00

Last edited:

bluestreakrem

When I bought my Anacondas, Pythons, Delta Elites, ect.. about 15-20 years ago, they were all right about $ 400.00 each.
Thank the Democrates for tripling my gun values!

KyJim

Can't blame any political party for the end of the Python. Lots of reasons it ended but it was mostly the cost of making the gun (all the hand fitting).