Colt All American 2000 Good/bad/ugly?

Walt Sherrill

More a collectors piece than anything. I'd probably buy one for that price and stick it in the gun safe. I have a 2008 Fjestad Blue Book and it shows the gun being worth about $650 in 98% condition (but you've got to find a buyer!)

Wikipedia has an entry for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_2000

All I remember from having shot one was that it had a horrible double-action trigger -- but the one I shot was fairly accurate. It won't be a gun you'd shoot for the fun of it. Mags and parts will be almost impossible to find, if anything breaks.

WC145

I'd buy it for $279 just because it's such an odd ball and was such a failure, in fact if you pass on it please let me know, I'll take it.
They were an interesting effort on Colt's part. As best as I can recall they were DA with a rotating barrel similar to the Beretta Cougar and PX4. They had some issues, can't recall what they were now, but they never caught on. They made them in the early 90's and the general consensus has been that they suck.

superpelly

I have surfed the web and found that they are not the best guns. But for 279.00, might buy it, and let it collect dust in the gun safe.

WC145

Like I said, if you decide against it PM me. It would make an interesting contrast paired with my Detective Special, one of Colt's most successful efforts with their least. It would be like having a Mustang and an Edsel in the driveway together.:D

RickB

The one you "really want" is the First Edition version, with aluminum frame. Not very many 2000s were made, but the very limited run FE models would be the most collectible. Apparently, the gun was designed by Reed Knight, a well-respected gun guy, but then Colt's own engineers went about "improving" it. Knight bought back the rights to it, later. That Colt cannot seem to make a good-looking, good shooting, hi-cap 9mm is evidence that there probably shouldn't be weapons like that. Stick to single stack .45s. :)

donmor53

I'm a huge Colt fan but do feel the All-American was one of Colt's absolute failures and...for good reason. My brother just had to have one (and a Double Eagle .45 ACP but...the Eagle is another story) and bought one new when they first came out. I was appalled at the poor quality and accuracy of the weapon. After getting over the shock that Colt would actually produce and attempt to sell such...I laughed at him. Repeatedly! He later agreed it was not Colt's best...bit the bullet...and sold it shortly thereafter for all he could get...which happened to be next to nothing. When I want to rouse my brother today...I laugh at him about it again.

They have to be worth something to some collectors because IMO...they aren't woth jack for pro self defense/carry or avid shooters. :D

Last edited:

Microgunner

They have to worth something to some collectors because IMO...they aren't woth jack for pro self defense/carry or avid shooters.

The fact they are a COLT, a failed design, produced in small numbers guarantees it to be collectible someday. A good hand me down to my grandchildren.

dreamweaver

the all american was colt's entry into military/LE 9mm's and was a dismal failure. apparently, law enforcement wasn't ready for a plastic gun yet and the baretta was much better fit for the military. i collect colts that i think were ahead of their time and complete failures. the pocket 9 is one of my favorites:)

gyvel

The fact they are a COLT, a failed design, produced in small numbers guarantees it to be collectible someday. A good hand me down to my grandchildren.

If you believe that, then I urge you purchase one of Colt's new .22lr M-4 carbines.:D

James K

Member In Memoriam
A nice example of the mountain laboring mightily and bringing forth a dead skunk. I also bought one on the premise that they might be collectible one day, but collector interest doesn't seem to be growing.

As a gun, the best that can be said is that it is better than the also highly touted Rogak, a total POS. Even the S&W Sigma is better.

Jim

Generally bad and ugly, but with a surprisingly comfortable grip.

I was almost fired from my job as Associate Editor of American Rifleman magazine because of the Colt AA2000. I've recounted it a number of times here.

Jim Watson

As RickB said, the First Edition guns with aluminum receivers were well fitted and finished. The couple I handled, the oddball trigger ran smoothly on its little cart wheels, too. The grip angle and shape is not far off the current XD.
I don't think it is any uglier than a half dozen other pistols doing well in the market.

But the transition to plastic sure hurt. The legend was that their molds for the mass production plastic guns were overrunning time and budget so they made up some metal guns to keep the model in the public eye.

jimvac49

As far as the DAO trigger system is concerned, I believe Col. Cooper said it best "the DAO trigger solved a problem that never existed."