Colt Agent questions....

MedicatedOne

Hello all,
I am interested in one of these fine old pieces. :)
I am assuming that they are not designed to handle +p loads, but I just wanna make sure by asking you folks.

Also, does anyone have one and have they shot any +p through it?
Oh, what frame designation does the Agent have? Is it a D frame or another?
Any comments about the weapon are welcomed.

Thanks,
MO

dinosaur

The Agent is an alloy frame.

Same design as the Cobra except the grip is shorter. Excellent gun but not made for +Ps. When our dep`t changed over to +P in the 80`s, the alloy frame guns were not authorized anymore. Shooting it with +Ps would be uncomfortable anyway. I use 110 gr. non +P Hydra Shoks in my Colt D.S.

It`s a D frame.

MedicatedOne

Thanks Dino

I still want one, even though the +p is not a good idea. I have a 342 and I want an extra round just for fun and the Colts have much better triggers than my 342, even after it was worked on.

I have become a revolver nut late in life. They have a class that autoloaders will never have, IMHO.... :)

Thanks,
MO :cool:

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
The "old model" Colt Agent's are very fine
weapons indeed. I obtained one several years
ago from a dealer in North Carolina; LNIB
condition, and the original selling price
marked on the box was $89.00. I would not
recommend +P ammo, in these older weapons.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Gabby Hayes

I used to worry about +P in my 1980's vintage Agent. I've seen enough comments over the years to the effect that my shooting hand will give out long before my shootin' iron (or aluminum, in this case), that I no longer lose sleep over it. I put 100+ rounds of WW 158gr +P SWC-HP through the little devil this past weekend with nary a bobble.

Back in the May, 1997 issue of "Shooting Times," author Dick Metcalf and a trusty sidekick claim to have run 2,500 rounds of various +P through two different S&W Airweights to see what would happen. They tested for damage and accuracy every 500 rounds. Neither gun blew up, nor did they become loose. The accuracy didn't run down the drain either. They had to switch to oversized rubber grips halfway through the test, but other than that, both alloy revolvers came through unscathed.

9mmepiphany

the agent is indeed a colt d-frame, same as the detective special, cobra and diamondback.

i would think that the d-frames are the strongest alloy framed snubbies for their time due to the off-set locking bolts on the cylinder. i think that they wouldn't blow up with +p but wear will be accelerated...it is definately not recommended by the factory

Swamp Yankee

Have Colt Cobra, 2nd generation with shrouded ejector rod. This is my carry piece 95% of the time. Its loaded with +P 158 gr. LSWCHP. Put about 100 rounds of these through it to get the feel and see where POI/POA were. Now practice with 158 gr. reloads which shoot for all intents and purposes to the same point. This way I get regular practice but don't shoot the gun loose.

Owner's Manual Colt sent me for the Cobra also covers the Agent. It states both are suitable for limited use with +P ammo. A steady diet will accelerate wear. Carrying +P ammo should be fine as long as the revolver is in good shape.

I bought the Cobra used and took it to the 'Smith I use for a tune up and going over when I decided this would become my primary carry gun. If your going to do the same with the Agent recommend a visit to a competent smith for a fair evaluation.
Hope this helps
Take Care

Dfariswheel

Per Colt, the Post 1972 shrouded barrel D frame aluminum guns were rated for 1500 rounds of +P ammo. They then needed to be returned to the factory for a check up.
The steel frames were good for 3000 rounds.

These guns were the Cadillac of snubs. The extra shot was nice too. Like a lot of people, I found the S&W "J" frame guns just too small to shoot well with. The slightly larger Colt frame is just right. Also, like the Python, the D's were noted for accuracy.

9mmepiphany

an added "benifit" is that the d-frame uses the same speed loaders as the smith k-frame (much like the smith L-frame, ruger gp100 and colt I-frame)

when we used to carry m-13 duty weapons, many of us would carried +p loads in the speed-loaders to be used in either the main gun or our back-up det. spl