Colt 6920 M4 AR-15 Serial Number Data Base / Info

I recently acquired a Colt M4 AR-15 and would like to know the approximate year of manufacture. I tried the serial number look up on the Colt website but no joy. It is an LE model without any words that say "restricted". The serial number is LE5036XX. Is there a database with these LE numbers? Many thanks.

Last edited:

Dfariswheel

As above, the Colt data base is very "iffy" Most newer firearms are not listed.

To get a date, call Colt during business hours and they'll give you the date it was shipped over the phone, But NO other info. For anything more you have to buy an Archive letter...........

800-962-COLT (2658)

MTT TL

Many models were sold to the public that were marked "LE". Even ten years ago a lot of police agencies didn't (many still don't) issue their officers patrol rifles but allow them to use rifles if they meet certain requirements. The Colt LE models were near universally recognized as meeting agency requirements.

Back when Walmart was selling them they became normal for police officers on a budget to pick one up for around $600 on sale. Colt still had a good name back then so they sold well. Walmart helped drive Colt into bankruptcy in 2015 when they halted sales of AR-15s. This coming on the heels of losing the M4 contract in 2013 forced them into chapter 11.

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.

Update: I just talked to Customer Service at Colt and they tell me that it, (the 6920 lower receiver), was manufactured in July, 2016. The lower receiver serial number is all that they have information on.

Last edited: