Colt 45 Die

Bucksnort1

I have a set of RCBS 45 Colt dies. Somewhere along the line, I purchased a 45 Colt FL #7 die. I'm having a brain cramp and can't remember why I bought it.

Is this a full length die?

Why do I need a full length die for 45 colt?

Seems the de-capping / resizing die would return the case to a usable condition.

nhyrum

Being a straight wall case, I can't imagine why any die manufacturer would, or even could make a "full length" die... They'd be identical to a standard die... Unless it was maybe a carbide die with more than just a carbide ring at the base, but I see zero benefit to that, and would just make the die more expensive...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

USSR

I'm just guessing, but is your RCBS sizing die a carbide die, and your FL #7 die not a carbide die? I quickly sold my RCBS .45 Colt carbide die set and replaced it with a RCBS steel die set when I saw the "wasp waisted" ammo it turned out. A lot of guys don't realize it, but while the .45 Colt case is a straight wall case, SAAMI specs for the .45 Colt chamber call for a slight taper. So, while your brass may start out straight, they come out of the cylinder with the taper. The RCBS steel sizing die has the slight taper built into it, which is something a carbide die cannot do.

Don

Bucksnort1

USSR,

The RCBS dies set and the #7 are carbide. The #7 has a hole in the top which is threaded. It looks like there could have been a de-capping pin. Tomorrow, I will see if any of my spare decapping pin assemblies fit. The hole is very small.

nhyrum

I'm just guessing, but is your RCBS sizing die a carbide die, and your FL #7 die not a carbide die? I quickly sold my RCBS .45 Colt carbide die set and replaced it with a RCBS steel die set when I saw the "wasp waisted" ammo it turned out. A lot of guys don't realize it, but while the .45 Colt case is a straight wall case, SAAMI specs for the .45 Colt chamber call for a slight taper. So, while your brass may start out straight, they come out of the cylinder with the taper. The RCBS steel sizing die has the slight taper built into it, which is something a carbide die cannot do.

Don
Not sure where you heard 45 Colt has some taper to it, but I just downloaded the saami booklet, and there is no taper to the case, they have listed .4800, cylindrical. That's it listed for the case diameter. Now the CHAMBER has a bit of a taper to it.

You can download the book from their website

https://saami.org/technical-information/cartridge-chamber-drawings/

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nhyrum said:
Not sure where you heard 45 Colt has some taper to it, but I just downloaded the saami booklet, and there is no taper to the case, they have listed .4800, cylindrical. That's it listed for the case diameter. Now the CHAMBER has a bit of a taper to it.
That's exactly what USSR said:

USSR said:
A lot of guys don't realize it, but while the .45 Colt case is a straight wall case, SAAMI specs for the .45 Colt chamber call for a slight taper.

The chamber taper is to promote extraction.

Carbide sizing dies are sold separately from sets so that someone with the less expensive steel sizing die set can upgrade. Looks like the purchase duplicated effort in this instance. Been there and done that.