Colt 38 Super

Shaun

I am very interested in purchasing a Colt Series 80 1911 in 38 Super Auto. I have been doing some research on 38 super and came across some articles saying that 38 super had a tendency to be inaccurate with stock bbls. The articles stated that the round would headspace on the semi-rim, not on the case mouth like with a .45 Auto. It stated that target shooters back in the day replaced the stock bbl aftermarket barrels and then fixed this problem. Now i know this was the case back in the 1930s but i assume that colt fixed the problem and factory new 38 Super 1911s headspace off the casemouth. But we all know what happens when you assume. This is a major concern before i purchase this pistol, not only for the accuracy issue but over using higher pressure loads as well. I asked the yahoo at a gunshop this question and he responds "Headspace hmm, can you elaborate on that?" this wasnt my normal gunshop so i left without the answers, i know someone on here has them tho.

Side note same topic, can you convert a 38 super to 9x19mm and then back easily, i would think it would be a new bbl and recoil spring, but i havnt been able to find this "kit" on google.

thx

ranburr

You are correct that Colt has had the headspacing issue corrected for many years. Yes you can convert to a 9mm. A new barrel and magazine is all that is needed.

Ranger61

Yes I agree that colt has had the problem fixed for quite a while. I remember all the series 70 colts I saw in 38 super headspace on the mouth of the case. You would have no problem if its a series 70 or newer. If its pre series 70 I would check it.

Jim Watson

I have READ that Colt went to case mouth headspace control in 1978, so any S80 gun would be set up that way. I have a 1954 Super with S70 replacement barrel that is old style semirim headspace. Made before 1978, maybe.

You can convert a Super to 9mm with a barrel change; it may also require adjustment or replacement of the ejector, the above gun did; I had another that did not. If you want to rebarrel a Super to 9mm for the cheap ammo, be sure to figure out how long it will take the savings to pay for a new barrel and installation. If you handload, the answer is never, but 9mm brass and ammo is much more common.