Colt 25cal pocket pistols.

zxc

How reliable are these tiny guns. Looks like a miniaturized 1911. Anybody have any experience in these pieces? A friend was asking 250. Say compared to a Jetfire this gun is actually prettier. TIA.

Jeff OTMG

Would that be the Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Auto? It has a grip safety if it is. Reliable with ball ammo, low recoil, doesn't bite your hand. A good little pistol and if it is in excellent condition the $250 price is not unreasonable due to collector interest. Personally I like the Astra Firecat, a nearly identical pistol, better. The Astra has an enclosed hammer while the Colt uses a striker.

sw627pc

More likely the newer Colt .25 ACP. Has outside hammer, looks more like scaled down 1911. Made for Colt, I think by Astra. Had a recall on them. With recall installed, not too bad. Without no way. Recall was to switch to inertial firing pin. Without change can't lower hammer safely. and safety isn't much as it doesn't block the hammer or firing pin. Action is NOT like 1911, trigger is at best fair, but in a .25 what do you expect.

Strayhorn

Two websites of interest:

Sam Lisker's excellent site on Colt autos -

http://www.coltautos.com

And the Vestpocket Pistol Collector's page:

http://members.magnet.at/g.schoenbauer/

Under the FN section, you'll see the Browning models 1906 and Baby, essentially the same as the Colt 1908 models (they split the market at the time). Sam Lisker's site has the hammer model.

I have a number of these little gems and they are fun collectables. With the Fiocchi import .25 ammo, I have suffered no malfunctions in any of them. The $250 price is about average, with a bit of wheedling I generally buy them in the $200 range.

They make a handy carry piece for "Sunday go to meeting" occasions. It's better than having the butt of your M1911 banging the pew back every time you get up.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Jeff OTMG

Yes, the hammered one was the Astra Cub and called the Junior by Colt (I think). My dad had one in the 1960's in .22 short.

zxc

Colt 25cal pocket pistol

Thanks a lot guys.I want the real Colt.My first experience with a handgun was a 1908 shrouded 32 from my old man. I was hoping to give this one to him., will be on the lookout for some.

Strayhorn

Doc's Guns in Greenville NC has several in stock. He specializes in older pocket pistols and I have bought three from him:

Doc's Gun & Pawn (252) 758-2020

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

You can always manually cock the external hammer version as opposed to the hammerless (which requires retraction of the slide and ejection of the cartridge).