Colt 1991A1 question

number9

Hey guys, my Dad has a Colt 1991A1 he bought new in Dec 1995. He has never shot it. That's right, never. :( Still has all the original papers, manual, case, receipt, etc. We went shooting once and he brought it and offered to let me shoot it and just as I was reaching for it he told me he'd never shot it. I just didn't have the heart to do it. He has owned several guns that he's never shot for some reason.

Anyway, now he is thinking of selling it or trading it to a S&W revolver of some sort and I was wondering what this gun would be worth so I can tell him if the local gun stores offer him a fair deal or not - or if he decides to sell it I can tell him what to ask for it. I just don't know much about the 1911 pistols.

Thanks.

ETA - obligatory pic before someone asks for pics :)

IMG_5424_s.jpg

Last edited:

EdInk

IMHO it's worth the price of a regular NIB one. You'd probably do better to
sell it yourself than to trade it to a store. Also, I think the 1991A1 have some features that many 1911A1 fans don't like on their guns.

spodwo

Don't trade - you will only get about 60% of the true worth...

Search some of the Gun Auction sites....I didn't see any like yours on GunsAmerica.

bigghoss

private sale probably $600 or so, maybe a bit more. even though it's unfired it is still used, so it doesn't really matter if you run a few rounds through it, unless it's got absolutely no wear on it at all. If I'm buying a gun from someone I don't know personally than I'm only going on what I can see and I can't tell if wear is from cycling by hand or from shooting. just keep that in mind if you tell that to someone and they look you in the eye with a straight face and say "so?"

BTW you have the old roll mark model sometimes referred to as the ORM. some people like it more than the newer ones but I don't think there is any difference other than the markings and finish. I have one of those in my safe that some bozo screwed up a bevertail saftey install on. works great but didn't do a good job blending it with the frame so it looks like crap.

Joe KY

Gunbroker has a few listed and they are between $700 and $750. With that said, the one or two that are list as NIB "1991A1's" (these are stainless) are in the $800 plus range.

I've got a 1991A1 in stainless, it's a very good shooter and quite accurate. The one your father has looks great from the one picture. With box, paperwork, and unfired I would have to ask at least $750, maybe a bit more.

Best of luck, ALLONS!
Joe

Kreyzhorse

He'd get taken on a trade to a gun store. He's better off selling it outright. I'd research a price before hand, and I'm not an expert, but I'd guess between $600 and $700 is about right.

SwampYankee

Assuming you use GunBroker or Auction Arms, if you can find a local FFL that won't rip you off, it should cost about $25 for the transfer and another $15-$20 for shipping to the buyer's FFL (FFL's can send guns priority mail- you cannot). If you sell it online, you can charge that amount in addition to what ever the gun sells for (but make sure you mention that in the listing). The other option is for you to FedEx it out yourself, overnight, to the buyer's FFL. HOWEVER, they have to be willing to accept a gun from a nonFFL. Some will not and some cannot legally do so, based on their state laws. You can always post this in the description but I would find out how much FedEx shipping costs. If you go UPS, you have to go at least 2nd Day air and it has cost me $70 to ship this way. My guess is you could get Fed Ex shipping for under $30 but I have never sent a firearm this way myself.

rsxr22

you are way better off selling privately or on the forums. The gun stores will beat you up on prices

RickB

Also, I think the 1991A1 have some features that many 1911A1 fans don't like on their guns.

It's missing a lot of features that many 1911A1 fans dislike, too. ;)
The older '91s are certainly not collectible, but with new ones costing $750 or more, the older ones are worth a lot more than they were not so many years ago. I paid $450 for a minty one in 2000, and I bet yours is worth at least $600-$650, now.

WC145

I paid $500 for a .38 Super 1991-A1 a few months ago from a shop in NJ. When it arrived the gunsmith looked it over and said it looked unfired to him. It came with the box and all of the papers, etc.

number9

Thanks for all the info guys. Now I have a good idea of what to tell him to look for if he does decide to trade / sell.

Actually, if Dad does decide to sell it I may try and buy it off him. I don't really want it but would rather have it than see him sell it to someone else, just because it's my Dad's. He's the type that if I mentioned buying it and he thought I wanted it he'd try and give it to me and wouldn't dare take money off me - says a parent should never take money from their kids - and I'm 36yr old. I probably wouldn't even shoot it, prob just keep it like Dad had it, eh..... I don't know, I might. He'll probably change his mind and put it back in the gun cabinet for another 15yrs knowing Dad.