Colt 1917. Holster + Ammo questions.

MosinM38

Well I've got a 1917 Colt .45acp. It's finish is about gone, had a little rust in a few spots, but it locks up good and solid and shoots really good. Best $200 I've ever spent :D Actually, I've had it about 2 years, just now getting around to a few things.

#1. The extractor star is loose. Right now it will rotate enough to block the chambers. Any ideas on a fix? Dad is set on dripping loc-tite onto the ejector rod/star junction, but I don't think that will work.

#2. I've been using standard 230 grain ball ammo. It shoots way upper left, so I'll have to get it regulated before I start carrying it, but my question: Are Fiocchi XTP's "Weak enough" to safely carry in it? I've shot it awhile and it seems to have more "bite" than other loads. If not I'd drop some cash and buy a few boxes of standard pressure loads for it.

#3. What holsters would fit it? Any clue? There is absolutely NO dealers of holsters, vendors at gunshows,etc, that I could check and fit it against to try. Right now it's in a "Hunter", generic holster that fits it good. Thing is, I'd like to get a bit tighter holster, that might work for concealed carry under heavy clothes.

Thanks for any help :D It's a great ol' gun, and I'm gonna start using it as an everyday gun (ranch, so not concealed) and maybe as a CCW in the wintertime. It points good, and groups great....but I'll need to practice on that DA pull, thing must be twice the weight of any other revolver I've got.

That said, the thing is the smoothest I've got too....those old timers knew how to assembled guns.

Thanks again!

celtgun

1917 Colt

The Colt is a great find. Post on Gunsmithing thread for extractor problem, also Colt Forum.
The Colt is considered stronger because the locking notch is off center the chamber more than the S&W. That said they are both great old classics in one of the best calibers.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun

"Stand your ground. Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, then let it begin here." - Capt. Parker to the Minutemen of the Lexington Militia before the Battle of Lexington

Dfariswheel

The ejector on the old model Colt's is staked in place.
Look in the center of the ejector where the cylinder latch pin seats and you'll see several stake marks.

To re-stake, make a staking punch out of a small flat punch with a screwdriver-like end. DO NOT use a center punch or any other round, pointed punch.
In a pinch you can use a screwdriver blade that's been very slightly sharpened and removed from the handle.

Done right, the cylinder assembly should be disassembled, but that requires two special wrenches and the knowledge of how to disassemble it without damaging it.
Given the choice between using Loctite and trying to stake the ejector while it's in the gun with an improper tool, I'd go with some Loctite Red.

Use some solvent to degrease the area as best you can, put something under the ejector to hold it open so the Loctite won't flow into the cylinder, then put a drop of Loctite Red in the joint. Turn the ejector back and forth to work it in, align it properly then let cure for 24 hours.

Not the best repair, but better than tearing the ejector assembly up trying to fix it without the right tools.

MosinM38

WOW...I'm sorry, I had forgotten about this thread...

Dfairs: THANKS for the advice!

I tried the red loc-tite...but overnight something (i'm assuming the......cat) knocked it loose and the ejector slipped back into the cylinder so It was stuck tight.

I got it loose, and now the rod is very loose, but at the very beginning, the ejector was already loose.

However after reading your advice, I will try it again (And keep MOM's...cat locked up overnight ;)).

Thanks!