Colt 1911's... which one?!

Sixer

I have my heart set on a 1911. My mind is MOSTLY set on a Colt. I did a bit of searching here before posting this and there is a TON of info... almost too much to digest! I need to hear from those who know :)

My budget is somewhat flexible.... probably around $1,000. Less would be better but I want to get the most bang for my buck ...and if a couple hundred $$ gets me a better value, then I'm all for it.

So... my question... if I'm looking for a Colt 5" 1911 (prefer SS finish or two-tone), new or used, in my price range... where do I start? Series 70, 80, Gold Cup, XSE, etc...

School me on Colt 1911's ;)

royal barnes

If it's strictly a range gun I would opt for the Gold Cup Trophy. If it's more for carry I would choose the Lightweight Government Model. It's all blue but handles well and carries even better. The Gold Cup will run you around $1100 new and the LW will be slightly less. There are those who will tell you that a Colt is not worth the money but I have owned and carried Colt 1911's for over 40 years and I refuse to spend my money on any other brand............at least one that is in my price range.:)

laytonj1

I'm looking for a Colt 5" 1911 (prefer SS finish or two-tone),
Get the Combat Elite. It's stainless and two tone (blued carbon steel slide).
I paid $935 plus tax for one brand new last year.

Jim

DasGuy

What are you wanting to use the gun for and can you live with front cocking serrations (I hate them)?

If it's strictly a range gun I would opt for the Gold Cup Trophy. If it's more for carry I would choose the Lightweight Government Model. It's all blue but handles well and carries even better. The Gold Cup will run you around $1100 new and the LW will be slightly less. There are those who will tell you that a Colt is not worth the money but I have owned and carried Colt 1911's for over 40 years and I refuse to spend my money on any other brand............at least one that is in my price range.

Great answer. My Gold Cup is only a range gun.

My 70 Series is self defense. I'm only mentioning my Colt's. I own two. Just cause the main topic is on Colt's. Other than that I have another input I'll explain if you want.

Fishbed77

All I can say is I love my Government XSE (Model #01070XSE). It's incredibly well-fitted for a production gun, and has been 100% reliable.

If you want the enhanced features over the standard pistols (Novak 3-dot sights, beavertail, combat cut, rosewood grips, enhanced trigger, etc.), it's a no-brainer for the ~$30 premium.

DSC_0217.jpg

Last edited:

Sixer

This just came up... quite a deal.

Thanks for the great input!

@ Creeper... I just sent a PM on the gun in the link. It's a 1991A1... not sure how that differs from other models... but it looks like a good deal.

As far as the main use... I want something that I can carry, but I also plan on shooting it as much as possible. Hope that helps :)

All I can say is I love my Government XSE (Model #01070XSE).

NICE!

AKsRul.e

IMHO - nothing says "serious weapon" better than a 70 series
Colt Govt. or Commander.

554190_01_colt_series_70_lightweight_com_640.jpg

You can easily find a used one in nice shape for under $1K

:)